Rye Heather Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a heather-rye saison. I could use some tips on this recipe, mainly about the amount of crystal malts to use, and also how much heather to use. I was thinking 8 oz @ 60 mins, and 8 oz @ flameout. I'm wondering if I should use less heather given how dry the 3711 French Saison yeast gets beers.

4 Gallon batch

25% 1lb 12 oz German Vienna Malt
25% 1lb 12oz German Dark Munich Malt (8.1-9.9L)
25% 1lb 12oz Maris Otter
17% 1lb 3oz Rye Malt
4% 0 4oz American Crystal 60L
4% 0 4oz American Crystal 80L
1% 0 1oz Belgian Candy Sugar Dark

8oz Heather @ 60 minutes
8oz Heather @ 1 minute

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.004

Yeast: Wyeast (1 liter starter)

Ya know, my favorite thing about saisons is how complex the flavors are with a relatively basic malt bill. I don't like crystal malt in them at all, but I like using a small amount of Vienna or Munich just to add a shadow of complexity.

I do like the heather and rye idea though. I'd love to know how that works out with that yeast.

Ya know, my favorite thing about saisons is how complex the flavors are with a relatively basic malt bill. I don't like crystal malt in them at all, but I like using a small amount of Vienna or Munich just to add a shadow of complexity.

I do like the heather and rye idea though. I'd love to know how that works out with that yeast.

Agreed on all points. There's all sorts of ways to make a beer, but crystal in saisons is not my style. The heather sounds like fun, though, and reminds me that I was going to do a lavender saison this summer. :p

I'm trying to emulate Roots (RIP) Heather ale, which had nice light caramel flavor, and I fear that the beer will finish too dry with the heather dominating, which I'm hoping the caramel would balance out. Though I wonder though if the blend of the three base malts and the rye wouldn't provide enough complexity to counter balance the heather, or if I should lower the amount of heather I have...

Back