Russian Imp Stout - w/Decoction Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutbrew

Reaction score
First of I am very new to brewing; this is only my 5th attempt. I am leaning toward the decoction method mainly because my efficiency last time was around 60% and hoping for better results.

Here is my recipe (a Mod of Dark Night of the Soul by BrewPastor)

5 gallon batch
Est OG 1.135
90 min boil

20lb Irish Stout Malt
1lb Crystal Rye Malt
1lb Munton's Chocolate Malt
1lb Crisp Dark Crystal Malt
1lb Castle Special B Malt
.5 lb Flaked Oatmeal (maybe or maybe not, have some left over from last brew)

5 oz Columbus Hops 60min Boil

2nd Gen Scottish Ale Wyeast 1728 (Huge Starter)

I don't mind the extra work involved even if it only gives slight improvements. Probably going for a double decoction but have not ruled out a triple. I watched a Brewing TV episode where they even boiled the wort at the end and used it for mash out. I hope to plot out a decoction chart to follow later tonight when I get back home.

I would love to browse some more Decoction charts if anyone has a link that would be great. Other than please contribute any why's and why not's to this method for this beer.

I am brewing this batch for St. Patrick's Day 2014.

I think it could add something to the beer, though it's certainly not tradition for this style. Kudos to you for trying to tackle something like a double/triple decoction so early on in brewing.

I'm curious as to what sort of equipment and process you're using. Your low efficiency with infusion mashing could stem from a variety of things.

My equipment is evolving slowly. Right now I have a 10 gal stainless with 5 mil aluminum core setting on a banjo. Mash tun is a converted 48qt square igloo cooler w/copper manifold. With the few simple infusion mashes I have done I get good temp holds. My first brews I was doing smaller batches in a 3 gallon pot and getting 72% efficiency. but the first and only time with the 10 gallon I dropped to 60%. I may have something off in beersmith, it has me adding more water at beginning of mash than other calculators.

No matter what calculations I use I am still pushing my tun to the max on this one but the worst that is gonna happen is I end up with a sticky little dog looking for a little mash/wort sloppage.

I really have no problem at all spending my whole Sunday out on the deck brewing a beer that I hope is good 6 months from now. I do hope to find some more charts to look at before I start though. I want to do a temp hold on the decocted mash during each step but don't want to guess at it. I saw something on youtube a while back but can't find it now. I have been homebrewing just a couple months now but have been researching on and off for a couple years. Brewing my own beer is not about me saving money, even though I will, but it is definitely not about me trying to make it as easy as possible along the way.

wingnutbrew said:
My equipment is evolving slowly. Right now I have a 10 gal stainless with 5 mil aluminum core setting on a banjo. Mash tun is a converted 48qt square igloo cooler w/copper manifold. With the few simple infusion mashes I have done I get good temp holds. My first brews I was doing smaller batches in a 3 gallon pot and getting 72% efficiency. but the first and only time with the 10 gallon I dropped to 60%. I may have something off in beersmith, it has me adding more water at beginning of mash than other calculators. No matter what calculations I use I am still pushing my tun to the max on this one but the worst that is gonna happen is I end up with a sticky little dog looking for a little mash/wort sloppage. I really have no problem at all spending my whole Sunday out on the deck brewing a beer that I hope is good 6 months from now. I do hope to find some more charts to look at before I start though. I want to do a temp hold on the decocted mash during each step but don't want to guess at it. I saw something on youtube a while back but can't find it now. I have been homebrewing just a couple months now but have been researching on and off for a couple years. Brewing my own beer is not about me saving money, even though I will, but it is definitely not about me trying to make it as easy as possible along the way.

Just hold whatever decoction volume you pull at mash temps for 20-30 minutes before boiling that's the only real thing to keep in mind otherwise you will denature the enzymes an get poor conversion. Add boiling decoction back till you reach next temp rest. Then let boiled wort cool to rest temp and add back in.

Thanks, yeah I also found an article on byo.com and I now understand the need for the rest at around 150F during the first decoction. It doesn't mention a rest at any of the other steps though I do remember seeing a chart that showed a rest at a set temp at each decoction. Not going to bother with as I am already brewing.

Back