RTD connector help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a new E-BIAB style kettle for making smaller batches. I have a 10 gal E-HERMS system and plan to use the BK controller with my new smaller kettle. Nothing against Auber (My HERMS system is all Auber), but I'm looking to save a little money. There are many cheap RTD probes on EBay, but they all seem to use 4 pin connectors, so my Auber cables won't work with them. They have nice cables, but just wires with spade connections at the controller end. I've had no luck finding the Auber style connectors anywhere other than Auber, and with shipping one connector will cost me $10. Also, i'm not sure if these other probes will be close enough in calibration to switch back and forth and still be accurate.

Does anyone know where I can find the 3 pin snap connectors at a reasonable price or even a RTD probe that uses 3 pin connector?

Thanks

I use this exact RTD probe. You always have to connect the same sensor to the same PID as the sensors seem to be out from each other by 2-3 degrees.

I'm building a new E-BIAB style kettle for making smaller batches. I have a 10 gal E-HERMS system and plan to use the BK controller with my new smaller kettle. Nothing against Auber (My HERMS system is all Auber), but I'm looking to save a little money. There are many cheap RTD probes on EBay, but they all seem to use 4 pin connectors, so my Auber cables won't work with them. They have nice cables, but just wires with spade connections at the controller end. I've had no luck finding the Auber style connectors anywhere other than Auber, and with shipping one connector will cost me $10. Also, i'm not sure if these other probes will be close enough in calibration to switch back and forth and still be accurate.

Does anyone know where I can find the 3 pin snap connectors at a reasonable price or even a RTD probe that uses 3 pin connector?

Thanks

sorry misread your question... I would just replace the probe you have with the 4 pin version with the same probes you have like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-Pt100-T...223954?hash=item5d64ed2e12:g:EcMAAOSw7ehXQshA

I usually buy my 3 pin aviation connectors separately for a dollar or two and solder myself.. just search "3 pin aviation connector" you can replace the one you have with another for like $2 with shipping and be up and running with the original sensor.

I use this exact RTD probe. You always have to connect the same sensor to the same PID as the sensors seem to be out from each other by 2-3 degrees.

They can be... but if its for a boil kettle it doesnt matter if its off a degree or two... and even if it isnt it takes moments to adjust the offset to correct the temp difference as well..

They can be... but if its for a boil kettle it doesnt matter if its off a degree or two... and even if it isnt it takes moments to adjust the offset to correct the temp difference as well..

I found though if you plug one connector into one probe then plug that same connector into another probe it's off a few degrees. Then if you adjust for this new offset and go back to the original probe it's off again and you have to re adjust. If you always connect the same probe with the same connector to it works great.

I found though if you plug one connector into one probe then plug that same connector into another probe it's off a few degrees. Then if you adjust for this new offset and go back to the original probe it's off again and you have to re adjust. If you always connect the same probe with the same connector to it works great.

You mean same probe to the same pid.... Yes your totally right... I meant if you knew it was off two degrees you can simply offset your values by 2 degrees or change the value back and forth in the offset settings in the pid values... depends on how long and how often you plan on switching back and forth...

Thats if the 2 probes are even reading differently... Id venture to guess maybe a quarter of the folks here dont even know what the offset value does or has even bothered correcting the temp reading on their setups...

Thanks for the input guys, always appreciated!

sorry misread your question... I would just replace the probe you have with the 4 pin version with the same probes you have like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-Pt100-T...223954?hash=item5d64ed2e12:g:EcMAAOSw7ehXQshA

I usually buy my 3 pin aviation connectors separately for a dollar or two and solder myself.. just search "3 pin aviation connector" you can replace the one you have with another for like $2 with shipping and be up and running with the original sensor.

I found three different sized connectors on EBay in the 3-pin... 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm. Do you have any idea which (if any) of these is the same that Auber uses? Anyone know the size of the 4-pin that the EBay RTD's use?

You mean same probe to the same pid.... Yes your totally right... I meant if you knew it was off two degrees you can simply offset your values by 2 degrees or change the value back and forth in the offset settings in the pid values... depends on how long and how often you plan on switching back and forth...

Thats if the 2 probes are even reading differently... Id venture to guess maybe a quarter of the folks here dont even know what the offset value does or has even bothered correcting the temp reading on their setups...

These are the reasons i'm thinking about going a different direction and adding a 2" tri-clamp ferrule to each pot (I already have a couple extras) and using the same tri-clamped RTD probe on both pots. Problem is, I only find them on Auber, and they run close to $50. The other option would be a Sanitary cap with 1/2" NPT threads to screw the original probe into. It would be nice to not have to deal with the threads though. Anyone know another source for these?

Thanks again

I have seen them elsewhere but I cant rememebr for sure... maybe Bru something or other who sells whole systems here...

As you might already know Threads on the hot side are really a non issue since theres no reason they will ever need to be touched once assembled really so your second option may make more sense financially.

I would measure the auber connectors you have to determine size... I actually use the 8mm version of these same connectors in my brewery at the control panel end and the are pretty small.

Latest posts

Back