Rootbeer w/out yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLoveOlivier

Reaction score
I know this may seem like a dumb question, but is there anyway to make root beer without using yeast? I've just been diagnosed with a food allergy to yeast, which is pretty sad.. I wasn't upset much at first, since finding alternatives for baking yeast seems relatively simple, but then I read that root beer would be a problem. Nooooo!

So if anyone could help me with the proper information I'd be very grateful, since i'm an avid root beer-lover.

You could drop in some dry ice and cap it. It's hard to judge the amount to the carbonation level though.

I'm new to this but I didn't have much luck with the yeast. My son really didn't like the taste difference so I tried to move to force carbonation with little initial investment in case this was a failed cause. I use a keg charger that uses the "carbonator" cap and a cornelius ball lock fitting. I found that I now want to upgrade to a full keg system with at least a 5lb co2 tank. I found the keg charger and cap for less than $40 and some co2 cartridges on eBay at a good price. The downside is I can't control the level of my carbonation and keep it consistent. But at least I know I like the result and the cost was minimal. I can use all but the keg charger itself when I upgrade and I plan to use it for when I move into beer. Fizz Giz is a similar product to what I use and can be easily searched out online. But as I've already pointed out I'm planning on beer next and the Fizz Giz will soon be obsolete to me.

Edit: And to answer your initial concern about problems I have had less trouble with forced carb vs yeast. It takes about 20 min and I've found that if both your gas and soda is cold it carbonates better. For a 2L batch I've got it under 15 min time to make a fresh batch. If I refrigerate it after I carb it and before I take my carbonator cap of sometimes the bottle will shrink and I simply carb it better.

Agreed, force carb with cap or keg from a co2 tank with regulator and air hose and ball lock. All in all, the investments will about that as purchasing a soda stream unit but will cost less per batch of carbonated beverage. Or, you could just go with a soda stream system to make carbonated water/beverages.

Psst, keg beer and carbonate with the tank, but after carbing, disconnect, bring it to a party and dispense with the keg charger rather than dragging the tank along since the beer would already be carbed. Same if you brought a keg of soda somewhere, it just gives dispensing pressure at that point since that decreases as liquid is dispensed.

Agree on kegging with Carbonator cap. I've made 5 or 6 batches this way and its super easy. Kids enjoy the process too.

If you do not plan on kegging beer someday, then a keg charger & carbonator cap is fairly cheap. Will take a fair amount of cartridges though which can add to the batch costs.

You only add the sugar to make the rootbeer. Most use water, extract, and a whole lot of sugar.

The carbonation does not require any extra sugar. I only carbonate 2L bottles (have not kegged). For that you chill the 2L down to serving temps, attach CO2, set regulator to 35 psi, and shake pretty vigorously for a couple of minutes. Disconnect and its done.

Back