Room temp kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kimble

Reaction score
Team,
I understand the concept behind temp correlation to CO2 retention in liquid.
I want to carb and serve a porter at room temperature in my keg. What I'm wondering is, can I naturally sugar carb the beer after racking it into the keg, and keep and serve it at room temperature. I will hook it up to my CO2 tank what I want to push beer out, but will it maintain a basic carbonation with just the sugar car but leaving it at room temperature?
Thanks!

I do know that yes, you can sugar carb in your keg, and it will do so better at room temp, however the amount based upon serving temp I'm not so sure. My guess would be to carb it as if the serving temp doesn't matter, but that is just a guess.

Whats the point of sugar priming in the keg? Its just going to make more yeast sediment. Sure you can do it, just use about 2 oz of dextrose and leave it warm. You can fine tune the carb level on gas later but you'll have to live with about 1.5 volumes of co2 or less because it will foam badly pouring warm with anything higher.

My basement is 50-70, depending on season, and I will keep kegs with 20' lines in summer, and while it works, it does not work very well. Yes, under 20-25psi CO2 the beer is carbed. Yes, with 20' line it is balanced-ish-sorta. But the fact is, once the beer "system" with dissolved CO2 from inside a high pressure keg environment comes into lower pressure outside glass, then CO2 will come out of solution.

So while possible, what am I understanding is that the issue is CO2 evacuation after serving and over foaming? So is there a good solution to serving room temperature darker beers out of a keg?

I'd work around that serving temp challenge with a Growler, a Silicone tube to fill it as seen here for not using a fill gun to do it. Fill it let stand, by the time it ends up in a room temp glass and the Growler sitting on the counter you should have warm swill you desire.

A liquid's ability to hold on to carbonation is directly related to its temperature and how gently you can deliver it to the glass. It would be much better to store it at cellar temps 50F or so, then letting it warm up a little in the glass.

Back