Rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeyadams7

Reaction score
I just opened my primary after two weeks of fermenting. Keep in mind I'm a rookie. There was huge clumps floating on top. Is this normal? When I racked it to the secondary the beer is pretty cloudy. I'm attempting a centennial blonde. Seemed pretty basic. Other than that color looks pretty good just wanting veterans thoughts and tips. Thanks.

Depends on what the clumps look like, but in general that sounds pretty normal.

The beer will be cloudy for awhile, especially if you just racked it. It can sometimes take awhile even after being in the bottle for beer to clear.

That is the leftover Krausen from the fermentation that didn't flocculate (sink to the bottom and form a pancake. You are solid, just when you transfer it, don't try to suck up those chunks in the siphon. One of the main reasons for racking to the secondary is to allow your beer to clear up. You are perfectly fine.

Thanks guys. I love these forums! Everyone is always helpful and willing to help out. I hope I'm able to return the favor someday.

image-3841222579.jpg

This is how it looked after I racked into the secondary.

Back