Roman Empire Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Roman Empire Hard Cider

3 gallons fresh pressed cider made from Rome apples and Empire apples
1/2 pound light brown sugar
15 drops Liquid Pectic Enzyme (5 drops per gallon)
3 teaspoons Yeast Nutrient (1 teaspoon per gallon)
1 1/2 teaspoons Yeast Energizer (1/2 teaspoon per gallon)
1 pack Nottingham Yeast

Started last night about 8:30 PM. Temp is about 65 degrees. Gravity reading is 1.050

Cider was pressed by hand earlier in the afternoon.Has a dark brown color to it, can not see through the 1 gallon glass growlers.

Poured 2 of the 3 gallons into a 3 gallon carboy. Added the light brown sugar, and mixed in for about 10 minutes until well dissolved. Added the pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and yeast energizer. Mixed again. then added the Nottingham yeast. Poured in the 3rd gallon of cider, and mixed again. Cider is well aerated now. Check with the hydrometer. Gravity after adding sugar: 1.060

This morning, it was slowly bubbling away in the airlock. The surface in the carboy looks like a chocolate milkshake, and it is clearing out quickly, I can see through the 3 gallon carboy, could even read a newspaper through it. Several big brown chunks floating up and down, and there is about an inch of sediment at the bottom of the carboy. Looks like the pectic enzyme is doing its job.

Going to let it ferment dry, I figure this will give about 8% ABV.

Sounds like you'll have a tasty cider, a little aging will help too. Awesome name for your cider! When I 1st saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be a recipe from the Apicius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apicius
You know, a pic of an ancient Roman bldg. or a centurion's helmet would make a nice label for that cider. Just a thought.
Regards, GF.

You know, a pic of an ancient Roman bldg. or a centurion's helmet would make a nice label for that cider. Just a thought.

Yup, I thought of a Centurions helmet and a gladius on a label, but here's the problem:

1. I have to get labels for my printer.
2. I have to make the labels.
3. I have to apply the labels.
4. I have to remove the labels when I reuse the bottles.

:D

I am planning on entering two bottles of this for GLINTCAP 2015, and they require plain unmarked bottles.

Currently bubbling away, airlock activity is about 1 bubble per second.

Can no longer see clearly through the carboy, most likely due to the CO2 bubbles churning everything up. Has a nice honey color to it now. Most of the "floaties" have now sunk to the bottom.

10 days in, and airlock activity has slowed to a crawl. Will wait until the weekend then transfer to a secondary for clearing. Was thinking of using Sparkolloid, but I think I will just let time do its thing. Color is still a golden honey shade.

Transferred to secondary to finish clearing. Starting gravity was 1.060. Gravity is now 1.000. The Brewers Friend Calculator tells me that comes out to a 7.88% ABV.

Tried a sample, smells of apple, very tart. will give it time in the secondary, see what happens. May end up backsweetening with a can of FCAJ, but time will tell.

Back