Riwaka triple IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently had a triple made with galaxy, citra, and riwaka. I loved it and wanted to take a stab at it. But I've never worked with riwaka before.

People over on reddit suggested I try posting here. So I was just curious how I would go about implementing riwaka with Galaxy and Citra. Thanks in advanced.

Start by making a smaller batch with just the Riwaka hop. Learn what it brings to the palate. Then another small batch with Riwaka and Citra. Is it better? Try a small batch with Riwaka and Galaxy. How does it compare? Now you might be prepared to do a Galaxy-Citra-Riwaka blend of hops.

Start by making a smaller batch with just the Riwaka hop. Learn what it brings to the palate. Then another small batch with Riwaka and Citra. Is it better? Try a small batch with Riwaka and Galaxy. How does it compare? Now you might be prepared to do a Galaxy-Citra-Riwaka blend of hops.

Unfortunately I only got 4 oz from my friend and don't know if/when I can get more.

4oz is a very small amount to really experiment with, even at small batches. If that were all I had, I’d do a 1-2 gal batch with all Riwaka just to get a feel for it, exactly like @RM-MN suggests.

I would treat Riwaka like Citra. Assuming a five gallon batch (because there isn't enough for a bigger one) use a bittering hop to get most of your IBUs, use an ounce each of all three hops listed at flame out for 5 minutes or so, and another ounce of each whirlpooled or at least steeped for 20 minutes at 170°F. Use the last two ounces for dry hopping with the other two strains...

Cheers!

Back