Reusing yeast (saving yeast) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
(sorry to post twice, I posted this in yeast and fermentation forum but didn't get any hits, hoping someone here might know which way to go..)

Hi folks, I saw the Washing Yeast pictorial stickied after I tried a different method, so I'll do that going forward.

Here's my question. I brewed 5 gallons of Czech Pils WLP800 and transferred it to my secondary and made sure to include plenty to trub. I let is sit at 50 degrees F for about 3 weeks. Now when I transferred it again to let it lager, I saved all of the remaining trub and 'liquid' that was at the bottom of my carboy. It filled about a quart mason and separated, try taking up half, and the liquid taking up the other half which is sitting in my refrigerator.

I need to reuse this yeast (I found my lager frozen last night, my thermostat quit or something and it's frozen solid, I am letting it slowly warm up to room temperate), so do I:

1. follow the standard steps for washing yeast that's sticked and that's how get it active again?
or 2. Should I pour the trub and liquid back into carboy when it hits 50 degrees F after letting the mason jar come to room temp?
or 3. Buy a new vial of yeast and pitch it?

Thank you!

You need to separate the trub from the yeast by washing it. I & some others have articles on yeast washing you'll need to look at.

For now, I agree with washing yeast. For the future, if you do starters, consider storing a vial sized sample from your pitching yeast to prepare the next starter. The yeast has never seen hops, and therefore no washing needed.

You need to separate the trub from the yeast by washing it. I & some others have articles on yeast washing you'll need to look at.

Not trying to start a debate here (there are plenty all over the interwebs):

Although washing (rinsing) yeast is fine, you definitely don't "need" to do it. Collecting the yeast, trub and all, and pitching into the next batch is just fine. Been doing it for a while now and I see no difference in the final product compared to when I rinsed yeast. To me, the main difference is time savings.

I actually know a few homebrewing buddies who specifically repitch onto the yeast cake in the fermenter from the previous beer (which they just racked off) for at least three generations and then eventually buy a fresh strain of yeast and start the process over again. They even do different styles each time and I have to say I haven't noticed a difference. They've all been great beers without any major flaws that could be attributed to the leftover trub. It's been a really cost-effective solution for them, with barely any lag time for yeast growth.

But hey, that's them. Me? I wash my yeast, save it in jars, and make a 1000mL starter on the stir plate. Like a Colt 45, it works every time.

I wouldn't use a yeast from a dark beer in a light one without washing it. Depending on how much beer is left with the trub & yeast,it can transfer unwanted bits of flavor. Possibly some nasties. Trub is basically yeast poop. Yummy...

I wouldn't use a yeast from a dark beer in a light one without washing it. Depending on how much beer is left with the trub & yeast,it can transfer unwanted bits of flavor. Possibly some nasties. Trub is basically yeast poop. Yummy...

Actually, ethanol is yeast poop.:cross:

Back