Reusing yeast cake on lagers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that it is difficult t wash and collect yeast from a lager beer so I am curious to know if anyone has successfully pitched the wort for a new lager onto the old yeast cake from a lager that has just been kegged or bottled. I know that there can be issues doing this with ale yeast but not sure about lager yeast.

I have done it several times. I would usually scoop or dump out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cake, then pitch fresh wort right on top. I didn't notice a difference between that and pitching 2x packets of 34/70.

I have had good luck doing this. I rack off the yeast cake leaving a little beer on top. Swirl and pour into a sanitized mason jar. Use what is necessary according to Mr malty for a slurry pitch. Works well.

I put KingBrianI's World's Best Oktoberfest on top of WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast cake from a Victory Prima Pils clone. The Oktoberfest was the best beer of many I made in 2011. Fermentation was almost as violent as a recent hefe.

Lagers need such a high pitch rate having a cake is a great situation. Like moreb33rplz says I'd probably scoop like 2/3rds out and save. I started lager for the first time last winter and went gangbusters when I did, I went 5 or 6 generations on some 34/70 and several on s23 as well.

I know that it is difficult t wash and collect yeast from a lager beer so I am curious to know if anyone has successfully pitched the wort for a new lager onto the old yeast cake from a lager that has just been kegged or bottled. I know that there can be issues doing this with ale yeast but not sure about lager yeast.

It's not difficult at all to collect lager yeast from a primary- it's easy as can be.

I think it's a great way to make a "big" lager especially. I'd make a 3 gallon batch of light lager, and then use most, if not all, of the yeast to pitch a huge dopplebock. It's the easiest way, rather than making enormous starters.

Thanks for the feedback everyone (especially with it being Christmas Eve). I really want to make a fine lager because I know it is not as easy to do as an ale. Big yeast starters using liquid yeast can be a pain to build up so I am going to try this method when I rack off my latest batch in early January.

Have a great day tomorrow and thanks for sharing your ideas. Encouraging advice from fellow home brewers is one of the best presents I could hope for.

Pitching on the yeast cake would be the same for ales as lagers. Make sure to oxygenate and let it ride out.

Back