Reuse Bourbon/Whiskey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I made a Bourbon Barrel Porter, I soaked Oak cubes and poured the Bourbon and cubes into the secondary. The only thing to reuse was the cubes but I've not reused them yet.

I soak the oak in bourbon for a couple of weeks, then add the bourbon and hold the oak. I then add more bourbon to the oak and leave for 6 months .... then add both to a beer.

I usually go about half a liter bourbon for 5 gallons. That would equal to about 2 teaspoons in a 12 ozs beer.

Before I use oak, I put in a dish, cover with water and microwave until boiling. leave for about 10 minutes, then pour off the water. Then repeat. I feel this removes a lot of the harsh tannins from the wood. Then soak in bourbon.

I usually soak my oak in an entire fifth of bourbon. Usually in a re sealable container. After I use the oak in the beer I was wondering if reusing the bourbon to soak more oak would be just as good as a fresh addition/fifth of bourbon? Or the same? Or better?

Back