Soaking oak in bourbon vs beer; are there differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be making my annual Xmas stout and will be using an oak spiral instead of chips this year. I only want to do a 2-week secondary (oak, chocolate, and for the last week toasted coconut also), so I plan to soak the spiral in bourbon for awhile before that to start extracting oak flavors. My questions are:

1. Is there a difference to the timeline? Meaning, most people seem to prefer 6 weeks in secondary with cubes or spirals, but bourbon is so much more alcoholic than beer, I'm not sure 4 weeks soaking in bourbon would be a good idea. I was thinking something more like 2 weeks in bourbon and then adding the bourbon and spiral to the secondary for another 2. Does this seem like a better idea?

2. Do you experience any difference in the flavors extracted by soaking in bourbon/spirits compared to soaking in beer? If so, what are they?

3. Is one spiral a good amount for 25 liters of imperial stout (standard size spiral that fits in a gravity testing flask, dark toasted American oak)? Or should I plan to supplement with cubes/chips? I have 2 spirals also, but I'm guessing 2 would be overkill?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to this beer!

1. In the past, I've soaked the chips or spirals in bourbon for a week or so, while the fermentation was winding down, and adding the wood (with the bourbon mostly drained out) to secondary or in the keg for several weeks.

2. Soaking the wood in the bourbon will impart the bourbon flavor - there is not a need to add the bourbon directly to the aging beer. Soaking the wood in spirits will help kill off any microbes. I've never pre-soaked wood in beer, but I have aged beer on wood without soaking it in spirits. It doesn't seem like you'd get the anti-microbial benefit or any real flavor benefit by soaking the wood in beer.

3. I'd wager that one spiral will be noticeable in 25L, but I'd err on the high side and consider adding more - I've never 'over-oaked' a beer to the point that it didn't age out to a happy level.

I do it separately. Add oak until you like it. Then add bourbon to taste. Easier to control with the two separate

I appreciate the replies, but I think maybe I didn't phase this well.

Basically I'm wondering if bourbon extracts flavors from oak in the same way as beer, or if it happens much faster because of the high alcohol content

Alcohol and water extracts different flavours from the oak. Water often extracts more tannins, so the beer can get bitter and "harsh" from the oak, fast, so tread carefully.

EDIT: Or so I've heard, to be clear. I haven't made an oaked beer before, but to make whisky and rum at home using oak. A little goes a long way, keep that in mind.

Back