Replacing some of the marris otter with pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for marris otter (4kg), and I've bought 2 x 3kg bags of it. I have 1kg of German Pilsner left from my last brew, so though maybe I would use that along with 1 bag of the marris otter and keep the 2nd bag unopened, but I'm wondering how it will affect the beer?

I've read that with the pilsner you should mash and boil for longer, however I will still have mostly marris otter so is there anything I should do differently in my processes?

Also, I'm brewing a milk stout, so not sure how the german Pilsner suits the style?

Thanks

I would just brew as normal, don't think you'll have any issues. You've got lots of other grains in a stout, doubt there's a huge flavor difference.

If you're super worried about off flavors from DMS, you could just increase your boil time by 15-30 minutes. No need to adjust the mash length. I agree that in a stout it would likely not be noticeable if you didn't extend the boil, but it shouldn't hurt to do so either.

If you do go with a longer boil, just don't forget that your hop schedule will slide slightly. IOW if you do a 90 minute boil, your "60 min" hops would still go in with 60 minutes of boil remaining (i.e. after 30 minutes have elapsed), and not at the beginning of the boil as usual with an hour-long boil.

I wouldn't worry. As above, just extend the boil. Many modern British golden ales and pale ales use a blend of MO and lager or pilsner malt. Some are very crisp and clean but in a milk stout it won't be noticeable.

Back