Repitch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sediment

Reaction score
I've read as much as I can on fermentation and when to get concerned.

This is my second batch of brew. I am day 3 with no visible activity. My specific gravity has not changed and I tasted the sample from my hydrometer and it doesn't taste like beer.

So with no grav change, taste change, I'm thinking I screwed up my first pitch and here's why:

I used a Cooper's packet of brew yeast but it didn't have any instructions. The shop was selling them in single packets. Anyway, I boiled up 250cc's of water, pulled it off the burner, added the yeast to reconstitute and cooled it down for 15 minutes, just as I had done with Munton's on my first batch. Could I have killed the yeast?

Second question:

When one repitches, can I just sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort? (also it's in the freezer, does it need to be room temp before doing that?)

This forum has been awesome in terms of info. I feel like I'm at a point where with no grav change it's time repitch. Just don't know how to go about doing it.

if the water was over 100F when you added the yeast then most likely yes its dead. You reversed the cool-down and yeast adding part.

You need to cool your boiled water down before pitching the yeast. I think it's safe to say that if you just pitched it into water that was just boiling the yeast died. I chill mine in a cold water bath to around 90 degrees and sprinkle it in, let it sit for 15 minutes, then stir it up to suspend the yeast and pitch.

I would sprinkle another packet of yeast in there with out rehydrating.

Cue Homer Simpson....

DOH!

I was going from memory....and apparently it's not very good.

Do I need the yeast to get to room temp before sprinkling?

Cue Homer Simpson....

DOH!

I was going from memory....and apparently it's not very good.

Do I need the yeast to get to room temp before sprinkling?

I take them out a few hours before to let them warm up a bit. I can't say if this helps but I imagine it does lesson the shock from temp difference.

I agree the yeast is probably dead. If it's available I'd go to liquid yeast, you can just leave it at room temperature for an hour or two then just shake and pitch. I usually make a starter but I've had good results without them too.

I wouldn't sprinkle dry yeast into the wort. It might work but I think your chances are much better if you let the yeast from your freezer sit in 90 deg water (most kitchen faucets can go much warmer than that) until the yeast puffs up.

Back