Rehydrating Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony269

Reaction score
I know this question comes up a million times but I have been using all of these calculators and none of them have an option for just rehydrating the yeast only calculations for starters. I guess here is my question, I am about to brew a beer with an OG of 1.061 and the calculators say I would need 1.4 packets of dry yeast.

Since I am rehydrating the yeast should I use 2 packs or just one...my process for rehydrating is boiling a cup of water, letting it cool to 95 degrees, dropping the yeast in, stiring, letting it cool to 70 degrees.

THANKS EVERYONE!

IMO you could rehydrate 1 11.5gram pack and be fine at that gravity

Sent from the Commune

If it were me, I'd use both packages. Use 2 cups water. I usually rehydrate at 70 -80 degrees. I almost always use dry yeast, and always have a vigorous ferment going in 6-8 hours.

I'm pretty sure ask the calculators assume you're rehydrating the yeast. I've done beers of that size from one pack and its turned out. Lately I tend to err on the side of pitching more yeast though...

I'm curious as to what calculator your using though, as Mr. malty says to go with 1.1 packs for 1.061 for 5.5 gallons... Or are they older packs?

I
Since I am rehydrating the yeast should I use 2 packs or just one...my process for rehydrating is boiling a cup of water, letting it cool to 95 degrees, dropping the yeast in, stiring, letting it cool to 70 degrees.

I may be over-pitching but I've had good success with a simple rule of thumb: less than 1.060 = 1 pkt and greater than 1.060 = 2 pkts.

I seem to recall the instructions for rehydrating usually say not to stir the yeast. Let it set for at least 15 minutes first. I've found that after that much time the yeast is about 95% rehydrated and so, instead of stirring, I just give it a few swirls to wet the little that may still be dry. Let it set a few more minutes as it is cooled to wort temperature and it's ready to go.

Cheers!

You could always go 1.5 packs and use the other .5 pack to make a gallon or two of cider.

You bring up a good question... does anyone know how long yeast can be safely kept once the packet has been opened?

I've put the unused half in a ziplock bag back into the fridge and used it a month or two later.
I probably wouldn't do this with a big batch of beer just in case. But for the cost of 1 or 2 gallons of apple juice i don't feel so bad if something happened to it.

Back