Rehydrating Yeast foam stuck to aluminum foil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyphoxx

Reaction score
Was rehydrating 2.5 packs of S-04 yesterday in what I thought was a tall cup. I sealed it with aluminum foil. Within less than 10 minutes, the foam had made it up to the foil so I went to transfer it all to a bigger container, in the process quite a bit of foam was stuck to the foil. All the liquid, however, made it to the bigger container. I pitched the yeast, and fermentation has begun less than 24 hours after, albiet very slowly, I see a bubble every minute or so in the airlock.

Should I buy more S-04 and add to the fermenter or is the foam I lost, just simply foam?

You didn't tell us how big of a batch you are fermenting.
2.5 packs could be considered too much for 5 gallons and could be considered not enough for 15 gallons.
What did you brew?

I have never experienced foaming with the yeasts I have rehydrated. Did you add sugar or DME to your rehydrating water? Rehydrating in wort can damage the yeast cell walls.
The cells stuck to the foil would be minimal. You lost very, very little yeast.

I have never experienced foaming with the yeasts I have rehydrated.

Really? Are you sure you're doing it correctly?

I get a nice cream on my yeast almost all the time. I actually just brewed an English Mild yesterday and pitched a packet of S-04. I found that when I paid closer attention to using both the correct volume of water (115 mL) and getting it to the correct temperature (85° F), my dry yeasties have been much happier during rehydration, rewarding me with that thick layer of cream. I pitched it last night at around 4:00 PM, and when I checked it this morning, it had that foamy sand-coloured krausen, speckled with beige patches of yeast.

Noobie question here...

I just brewed my first batch of 5 gallons of Irish stout. I cooled the wort down to about 70 deg and transferred to fermenting bucket. Then added enough water to about 5 gallons and OG of 1.050. Then I added packet of yeast without rehydrating. Directions said not to. Should yeast be rehydrated all the time first before adding?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I added packet of yeast without rehydrating. Directions said not to.

That's not entirely accurate. The directions do not say "Do not rehydrate," but rather they instruct you to simply "sprinkle directly into wort."

Should yeast be rehydrated all the time first before adding?

Ideally, yes, but it will still work if you don't. New brewers have enough to learn at the beginning, so yeast manufacturers are simply trying to uncomplicate at least one step of the process for you until you've advanced enough to want to improve that step.

5 gallons of 1.050 wort would require roughly 200 billion yeast cells for an ale fermentation. One packet of dry yeast will deliver roughly that amount, but only if the cells are 100% viable. If you sprinkle them directly into the wort, your viability can drop to as low as 50%, meaning you're underpitching by 100 billion cells. It will still work, it's just not ideal. Worry about the other stuff first, then when you're comfortable with the rest of your process, try rehydrating your yeast. Instructions are on the manufacturers' websites.

Noobie question here...

I just brewed my first batch of 5 gallons of Irish stout. I cooled the wort down to about 70 deg and transferred to fermenting bucket. Then added enough water to about 5 gallons and OG of 1.050. Then I added packet of yeast without rehydrating. Directions said not to. Should yeast be rehydrated all the time first before adding?

There are different thoughts, as some dry yeast will actually be hurt by rehydrating, others can benefit from it.
Either way, pitching one packet of dry yeast into a 1050 brew will yield you good attenuation...as long as you oxygenated and had good pitching temps, you should be fine!
Enjoy the Stout!

It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to show active signs. And if you've got a small leak in your bucket lid, you may see no signs at all.

The directions for the brew as well as the yeast did say not to rehydrate. But nonetheless when and which yeast can or should be rehydrated first?

What dry yeast is actually hurt by rehydrating it prior to pitching?

This is taken from the Wiki, Rehydrating Dry Yeast,
"It should be noted that some yeast companies recommend rehydration of their dry yeast, while others do not. It is therefore important to consult the specification sheet for a particular yeast to find out if it should be rehydrated before use."
I'm not sure what ones do not benefit from rehydrating exactly (I've been using liquid yeast for a while now), but am of the strong belief to "consult the specification sheet for a particular yeast to find out if it should be rehydrated before use."
Do as much research as you can about the particulars of the brewing process, experiment, and learn as you go!

I have yet to encounter dry yeast that is harmed by rehydrating. I've seen packets that say "Sprinkle into wort" but the spec sheets say to rehydrate. I've seen kit instructions say "Do not rehydrate" but those are written with beginners in mind and so the process is simplified. I've read report after report from people that have done cell counts, and the results are consistent in showing that dry yeast is not harmed, and actually benefits greatly, by rehydrating. Lots of people just pitch it dry and obviously that works. The first few times I used dry yeast, I pitched it dry. Similarly, the first few times I used liquid, I added a smack pack with no starter. I liked my beer a lot. I started learning more about yeast and tried hydrating my dry yeast, and I liked my beer more.

"consult the specification sheet for a particular yeast to find out if it should be rehydrated before use."

I will have to do just that, because I thought you rehydrate dry yeast to get it ready for the liquid environment without the presents of the sugar in the wort

and then you add a small amount of the wort you are pitching into the rehydrated yeast to get it about the same temperature as the wort

(I've been using liquid yeast for a while now)

me too because I rehydrate my dry yeast ;)

all the best

S_M

I think what it's saying is some specifically tell you to rehydrate the yeast. Others don't tell you anything either way.

I've never heard of re-hydrating yeast to be harmful to the yeast. A lot of brewers find it unnecessary and are happy to just sprinkle it on top of the wort. But healthy yeast counts will always be highest if you rehydrate.

edit: ah, corrected by mighty mouse -- some do tell you specifically not to. Thanks MM, always saving the say. :)

"It should be noted that some yeast companies recommend rehydration of their dry yeast, while others do not."

But there's a big difference between not recommending rehydration (by simply not mentioning it) and explicitly discouraging rehydration. As far as I know, no dry yeast manufacturer out there actually says "Do not rehydrate prior to pitching." They may say "Sprinkle directly into wort," but I'm not aware of any that come right out and recommend AGAINST rehydrating, let alone actually stating that it's harmful to the yeast.

I agree that consulting the manufacturer's specification sheet is the way to go, but any I've seen also include instructions for rehydrating.

Fermentis' sheet on US-05 includes detailed instructions for rehydrating the yeast, but also includes alternative instructions to sprinkle directly into wort.

Danstar's sheet on Nottingham includes instructions for rehydrating in water, and doesn't even mention sprinkling directly into wort.

Mauribrew's sheet on their ale yeast is the same. Rehydration in water instructions, no mention of sprinkling into wort.

I wonder if maybe the wiki authors were just covering their bases in case there happens to be one obscure yeast manufacturer out there who actually recommends AGAINST rehydrating, but don't actually know of any who do? I don't have my copy with me, but I believe the book "Yeast" covers this topic and concludes that it is universally better to rehydrate your dry yeast in plain water before adding it to wort. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Back