Red, white, and belgian.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuxleysBrew

Reaction score
Brewing first belgian, decided to do with a little fruit in it. Dunno how it's gonna turn out, but hey, we'll see :drunk:

11 lbs LME
1lb bavarian wheat DME
1lb. organic strawberries
1lb. organic blueberries
Grains:
1lb. Belgian Pale Malt
1/2lb. Extra Special Malt
1/4lb. Cara-pils (dextrin)
1/4lb. Honey Malt
Hops:
2oz. Crystal Hops
Yeast:
2 pkgs Bavarian/Canadian ale Wyeast 3864
3/4 cup corn sugar (prime)
1 tsp. Gypsum
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Trying to make it a blend of yeasty with mild fruit and hop profile.

30 min grain steep, remove, add LME and DME. Boil 30 mins add hops. Add Irish moss w/20 mins to go. Puree strawberries w/blueberries and add w/10 mins to go.

:ban:

I add all fruit at the last 10 of boil but then transfer it to the fermentor. I'd add more strawberries. They have a very low flavor. I've read 1lb per gallon but I've had good luck with half that for a slight flavor/aroma.

I've read 1lb per gallon but I've had good luck with half that for a slight flavor/aroma.

Yea my goal was something lightly flavored, didn't want a real heavy fruit presence. I don't really like fruity beers so I just like it for the aroma. It's more of a yeasty beer. I planned to sample some before transferring to a secondary to see if I wanted to incorporate more, but for now it had a great aroma when boiling so I'm going to see how it goes from here.

Back