Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
B1376262-45DE-47CD-B96C-F355676BDE69.png
I’m looking for some feedback on the recipe I put together based on Home Run Red I found online. I’m wondering if 1/2lb of c120 and special B would be to much? The recipe I found had 1/4lb of each for a 3.5g batch which I scaled up yo 5.5g and I like nice easy numbers. Any feedback/advice is appreciated!

Might consider dropping one of them back to a quarter pound. That'll better scale the total percentage of dark malts.

I would probably drop the crystal down.

What flavors are you looking for? The Special B and 120L crystal are going to dominate, and give it strong raisiny, plummy, caramel flavors. Is that what you want?

I'd be concerned with only ~17 IBU bitterness. I'd suggest you up it to 20-25 IBU: it still won't be overly bitter, but it would better balance out the specialty malts.

I think you'd definitely want to up the hops to at least 25 IBU if you're going to keep the speciality malts.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll dial back both the 120 and b to 1/4lb. I want an easy drinking malt forward beer and I have the 120 and b just laying around after brewing an old ale.

A2E246B3-546A-4DA8-8207-EEC29927FE99.jpeg Ended up keeping the crystal and special B at 8oz but increased IBUs to about 25. Turned out to be a nice beer.

Back