red ale kit which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
have a MWS red ale extract kit. came with Munton/fision dry yeast. I also have packets of Muntons Gold, Safeale 05, and safebrew 33. Which would be the best to use? Thanks in advance.

S-05, definitely; it's a nice, clean American ale yeast which many brewers adore.

Muntons Gold is a decent yeast and will get you there, though the beer will be different in the end. It's fruitier, less attenuative, and doesn't settle out as well as S-05.

Fermentis says S-33 "is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers, Trappist, etc.)." So I don't think you want that. I've never used it, so I cannot speak definitively about it.

The stuff that came in the kit is only useful for yeast nutrient in the boil. I'd dump the contents of that packet in the kettle with 10-15 minutes left in the boil, about the time you'd add Irish Moss. Yeast are cannibals, the little blighters, and "yeast ghosts" are a rich source of nutrients for whatever yeast you pitch.

Were it my beer, I'd ferment with S-05. Say, here's an idea: Split the batch and ferment each with a different yeast! You've got four varieties of yeast - all you need is four different fermenters!

It's a thought.

Bob

I am biased, because I have absolutly nothing good to say about muntons.....
That being said, US-05 all the way!

Will go with the S-05. Thank you. Did the cream ale with the Muntons/Fision, may order it in again and try the S-05 with this also, to see the difference. I plan on 10 to 15 extract brews to learn (am at 7) then move to all grain so again thanks for any info and advice.

I used safebrew 33 in a pale. It turned out nice and i think it would work well in your red. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your yeast (expert maybe the included Munton/fision.) I've read that some have had issues with safebrew 33. I don't think it was with the flavor but more from stuck fermentations.

Safale 04 would be best but I say 05 if that's all you have.

edit: I thought the title was 'real ale'...Go with the 05.

Back