Recirculation pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cata

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

We just upgraded to 100 L brew pots, meaning we can make more beer but recirculation and mainly sparging take lots of time (it took us nearly 3 hours the last time).
So our next upgrade will be to get ourselves some pumps to do this process. Thing is, I don't know anything about this, and I need advice.
What pumps would you guys recommend, that are good but not so expensive?
How many pumps should I get?
Is there any changes that I need to do on my system, mainly for the sparging process? I´ve seen some people use a special lid that sprays the water on to the mash tank instead of just chucking it in.
If I have one pump for recirculation, is it ok to use the same one for the chilling part with the wort chiller?

Thank you so much!

P.S: there's probably some thread about this but I couldn't find it.

What size batches are you doing? If 5-10 gallon, Check out full volume biab. No sparing and pump needed.

What size batches are you doing? If 5-10 gallon, Check out full volume biab. No sparing and pump needed.
I'm doing 10-20 gallon batches! I'll definitely try it next time I do a 10 gallon batch. Do I need more water for BIAB?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm doing 10-20 gallon batches! I'll definitely try it next time I do a 10 gallon batch. Do I need more water for BIAB?
Thanks!

Typically one would use the full volume of water for the BIAB mash. Alternatively you could use less water for mashing and then sparge to get to the needed pre-boil volume. If your water source does not have chlorine or chloramine in it, a hose hooked to the faucet to spray over the bag of grain that would be suspended over the boil kettle or another catchment vessel to increase the efficiency. Otherwise a pump would be nice.

Thanks!

You typically mash in with entire volume of water (including losses from grain absorption and boiloff). I use the following calculator for water volume and strike temp.

https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/#Advanced

To keep your efficiency up you have to mill the grains more fine than you traditionally would. Set the gap on your mill to thickness of a credit card or double mill grains. Otherwise, add 1 lb of base grain per 5 gallons.

You want to stir for about 5 mins when you mash in. Other people will also stir a few times during 60-90 min mash. After stirring, insulate pot with a blanket or sleeping bag.

The bag will be heavy, so best if you have a pulley or some way of hanging it above a pot. Squeeze the hell out of it. I made a press for mine out of three 5 gal buckets. Buckets get nested together. Middle bucket has multiple holes drill in its side and bottom. Grain bag goes into middle bucket. Then I sit/stand in top bucket so that it presses liquid out of grain bag and liquid collects in bottom bucket.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/biab-brewing-with-pics.233289/

Back