recipe thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbrock

Reaction score
I had some some things laying around and made some brew. I was just wondering if I could get some thoughts and opinions about it.

5lbs Pilsen
3lbs Pale ale malt
1lb Munich malt 20L'
1lb caramel malt 30L'
1oz cascade @ 60 min
.5oz Citra @ 30 min
.5oz cascade @ 30 min
.25 Citra @ 15 min
.25 cascade @ 10 min
.25 Citra @ 5 min
.25 cascade @ 0 min
1 tsp beer nutrient @ 10 min
1 tsp Irish moss @ 10 min
11 grams US-05
Mashed high @ 155 for 60 min
Boiled for 90 minutes
Got 4.25 gallons of wort with O.G of 1.068
Chilled to 72 degrees and pitched the yeast right in without rehydrating.
I'm going for a hoppy beer that has a sweet malty texture/taste with just a little bitterness. I was just wondering what everyone thinks. I know only time will tell but this is my first attempt at something like this.

1lb of caramel seems a bit much to me but from the hop bill I'd say you'll get a nice gentle hop punch to the face. Not sure how balanced it'll be though, seems like you're going for full malt and full hop kinda flavour which can end up muddying things.

I know that's a lot of caramel. I was going to use a half pound but decided to go ahead and use the whole pound. Haha on the hop punch to the face. That's a good one

A pound of caramel is fine in a pale ale, it's not too much. You have 10% there, and that's fine in a pale ale.

I like the recipe, except for the hops. Since hops added before about 20 minutes before the end of the boil contribute primarily to bittering, the beer looks very bitter, and since it was mashed at a high temperature of 155, it should be very full bodied so it would be a bit bitter and thick for my taste as an American pale ale. If the 30 minute hops were added later in the boil, at 15 minutes or less, and the beer was mashed at 151-152, it would be a nice pale ale that I would really like.

It shouldn't be very hoppy, but instead more bitter than hoppy. If you dryhop it, that would really help give it a hoppy aroma and maybe cover all of the bitterness and thick body.

Let's see... malt, hops, water, yeast... yes, this will be beer.

Yooper,

Any suggestions on what type of hops and how much to use for the dry hopping?

I don't have the motivation to input this into Beersmith, but it looks OK. I would have mashed a little lower, cooled more, rehydrated the yeast and added more hops late..... I would also have gone for a full 5 gallons at a lower gravity. For me, volume before ABV......

Yooper,

Any suggestions on what type of hops and how much to use for the dry hopping?

Any of the ones you used are nice. If the beer is very bitter and unbalanced, you could go with 2 ounces of dryhops, but if it's better than I think it may be, one ounce of dryhops would be fine. Maybe 1/2 and 1/2 citra and cascade, or all cascade (I'm not a huge citra fan).

Just took a gravity reading at it was already @ 1.016. It tasted just like goose island summer ale. Hopefully it stays that way even though that wasn't my intention

Back