Recipe suggestions for St. Patricks day beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druish_00

Reaction score
I just finished a couple batches and was thinking about my next couple brews. Looking at the calendar I realized that I could have a couple batches ready to go by March 17th for all the festivities.

Just wanted to put the feelers out there and see if anyone had any great ideas for some st pattys day brews. I wanted to do some sort of stout (oatmeal probably) and a red ale for sure and possibly a 3rd wild card.

Any suggestions would be great!

Primary: none
Secondary: Founders Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat (needs a name yet!)

I just finished a couple batches and was thinking about my next couple brews. Looking at the calendar I realized that I could have a couple batches ready to go by March 17th for all the festivities.

Just wanted to put the feelers out there and see if anyone had any great ideas for some st pattys day brews. I wanted to do some sort of stout (oatmeal probably) and a red ale for sure and possibly a 3rd wild card.

Any suggestions would be great!

Primary: none
Secondary: Founders Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat (needs a name yet!)

No idea, but what is your Breakfast Stout recipe? Founders has some amazing brews. If you are out there soon, try Black Biscuit or Backwoods Bastard.

I am brewing up my Irish Red and Extra Stout, along with a bunch of other "non-Irish" beers. The Extra Stout is in my dropdown, and here is my Irish Red. The first version of this turned out great.

Recipe: O'Daniel's Irish Red v3.1
Brewer: O'Daniel
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.67 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.33 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.13 lb Black Barley (Stout) (550.0 SRM) Grain 1.33 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 9.38 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 14.06 qt of water at 163.3 F 150.0 F

Thanks O'Daniel! I'll probably get that one brewing next week.

Apendecto: Im fortunate enough to live just a few blocks from Founders. I was thinking about walking down there tonight actually.

I did a search for the recipe on here actually and came up with a pretty good one. I had to adjust the amount of grain for my terrible efficiency on my larger of 2 mash coolers (around 50%!) so i ended up using a huge amount of grain for 5 gallons but I hit my OG (was a little high actually). It smelled amazing when I moved it into secondary. 2 more weeks!

Awesome. Let me know how yours turns out. Those 2 are definitely my 2 favorite beers that I brew.

Back