Recipe suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruinpilot

Reaction score
I am a new brewer. (Getting ready for my second batch.) a 6.7 pound bag of white hard wheat berries just came into my possession, so I am thinking of possibly turning it into a hefeweisen. I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good recipe. I want something simple and wheaty. I was even thinking of mixing my wheat with 3 pounds of two row and mashing and seeing what I get!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately, it's slightly more complicated than that. Since your wheat is un-malted and not flaked or torrified, you're going to need to do a cereal rest before the starches are even available for conversion. I'm a little hazy on the details, so you're going to want to do some research before you start mashing anything.

Edit: I was initially concerned about conversion, but it appears that you're OK even with just 3 lbs of 2 row with your 7ish lbs of wheat. According to this, anyway:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

You may want to have someone check me on that, though.

Okay. You cannot make a heff with unmalted wheat. What you can make with unmalted wheat is a witbier and those are awesome. Also, with your supplies you can make two batches of the stuff because why not? Wits are typically very light and you should be able to hit a 35GP with 3 pounds of raw wheat and 1.5 pounds of barley or make it a bit more authentic and try to hit 45 with all you have.

Yes. a 70% wheat/30% barley will convert. You will have to cereal mash and I would highly recommend on grain conditioning if you grind your own grain or adding rice hulls to the mash up to a pound. Raw wheat is sort of notoriously sticky. I would cereal mash at 113 to 120 for about 30 minutes and then infuse up to about 148. These should be very dry.

I highly recommend making a wit. It is so simple, low amounts of ingredients, low amount of hops, you don't need a massive amount of yeast, and your friends will love them.

Thanks for the great article and for the info on wit. I will definitely try to make this. If I screw it up, most of the ingredients were free anyways! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back