Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint3113

Reaction score
I am trying to brew a very citrusy grapefruit IPA. My recipe so far is:

12 lbs 2 Row
8 oz Crystal 40
8 oz Carrapils

1 oz CTZ @60
1 oz Cascade @15
1 oz Chinook @15
1 oz Citra @15
1 oz Cascade @0
1 oz Chinook @0
1 oz Citra @0
12 oz Dextrose (maybe brewers crystals) @0
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop - 5 Days
1 oz Chinook Dry Hop - 5 Days
1 oz Citra Dry Hop - 5 Days

Any thoughts on how this might turn out?

I think that will be a good IPA, very fruity but I don't think it will be a grapefruit bomb. Citra is going to give you a lot of tropical fruit flavors like mango. If you want super grapefruit I would just replace the citra with more cascade. Maybe even just do all cascade except for the bittering.

To me the ultimate in grapefruit flavor for hops is Amarillo hops. Cascade is citrusy as well and in combination with Chinook it will be very nice but for a grapefruit bomb definitely need Amarillo hops!

I definitely want strong grapefruit in there but not really looking for a bomb. Thought the Citra would balance out the Grapefruit from Chinook and Cascade with it's Tropical notes (mango, etc.).

To me the ultimate in grapefruit flavor for hops is Amarillo hops. Cascade is citrusy as well and in combination with Chinook it will be very nice but for a grapefruit bomb definitely need Amarillo hops!

AGREED! I am drinking an ALL AMARILLO IPA I made about 6 weeks ago and it is straight up grapefruit/tangerine. It's actually quite awesome! :rockin:

Should I replace the Chinook with Amarillo and leave in the Citra for some balance?

Do I even need the Chinook or should I just go with 1 oz each of Cascade and Citra to keep the IBU's a little lower?

Right now this beer is coming in at around:

98.8 IBUs
8.6% ABV
(BeerSmith)

instead of adding the sugar at flameout, I would add it near the end of primary fermentation. This lets the yeast eat the sugars from the grains before getting accustomed to the simple sugar. This might help you dry out the beer just a tad more. It probably doesn't make much of a difference either way, it was just something that was suggested to me when doing a similar IPA and the results turned out good!

AGREED! I am drinking an ALL AMARILLO IPA I made about 6 weeks ago and it is straight up grapefruit/tangerine. It's actually quite awesome! :rockin:

I am going to have to try this. I have associated Amarillo to orange/lemon flavors but I have never made an All Amarillo batch. The All Citra RyePA in my fermentor right now tastes like straight up mango juice. I am excited to see how it turns out in the end.

Should I replace the Chinook with Amarillo and leave in the Citra for some balance?

Do I even need the Chinook or should I just go with 1 oz each of Cascade and Citra to keep the IBU's a little lower?

Right now this beer is coming in at around:

98.8 IBUs
8.6% ABV
(BeerSmith)

I'm not much of a citra fan so I'm probably not the one to give much advice about it, except to say that citra is best in small doses for the most part because of the intense tropical flavor it imparts. I use it in some of my pale ales and IPAs to give some counter balance to strong citrus.

I'm not much of a citra fan so I'm probably not the one to give much advice about it, except to say that citra is best in small doses for the most part because of the intense tropical flavor it imparts. I use it in some of my pale ales and IPAs to give some counter balance to strong citrus.

I like Citra because I like Mango/tropical flavors. Citra is not at all Grapefruit in flavor. Cascade/Amarillo combo or all Amarillo is what the OP is shooting for.

Yeah, no grapefruit in Citra, really (or rather, so much tropical fruit that it will skew your beer that way). If you can get Comet I really recommend it for whirlpool or dry hop additions -- that is THE most grapefuity hop, in my book. Chinook is another great one.

I definitely want strong grapefruit in there but not really looking for a bomb. Thought the Citra would balance out the Grapefruit from Chinook and Cascade with it's Tropical notes (mango, etc.).

So if I'm just looking to somewhat offset or balance the insane grapefruit I'm going to get with an Amarillo/Cascade combo should I reduce it to just a whirlpool addition and a dry hop? That way I don't get too much tropical fruit in the mix but just enough to balance it out?

Maybe something more like this?

12 lbs 2 Row
8 oz Crystal 40
8 oz Carrapils

1 oz CTZ @60

1 oz Cascade @15
1 oz Amarillo @15

1 oz Cascade @0
1 oz Amarillo @0
1 oz Citra @0

12 oz Dextrose (maybe brewers crystals?) @0

1 oz Cascade Dry Hop - 5 Days