Recipe help! (I received an incorrect shipment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBilly

Reaction score
Long story short, I wanted to make an American Brown Ale (recipe here) but the online homebrew store I ordered from didn't include the chocolate malt! Today was supposed to be my brew day so I wanted to formulate a new recipe from what I have.

Basically, I had to turn it from a brown ale to a red ale and I'm hoping to get some advice on if the recipe is any good since I've never done a Red Ale before.

Here is the Red Ale recipe on Hopville.

If you can think of anything else I can make with those ingredients, that would be cool too.

Malts

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
40% 4 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
30% 3 0 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 ~
10% 1 0 Crystal 60L 34 60 ~
10% 1 0 Victory Malt 34 25 ~
10% 1 0 Rahr Red Wheat Malt 37 3 ~
1% 0 2 Roasted Barley 25 300 ~

Hops

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.0 Northdown pellet 8.5
boil 30 mins 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 0.5 Willamette pellet 5.5
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Willamette pellet 5.5

Also, today is my first attempt at Brew in a Bag, so any advice on that would be appreciated!

I'm a hair confused due to the grain bill -- are you mashing the 2-row or steeping?

I'm a hair confused due to the grain bill -- are you mashing the 2-row or steeping?

I'm doing brew in a bag. So I'll "mash" in the brew kettle. But, my pot is not big enough to do a full grain bill, so I have the DME to make up the difference.

I'm doing brew in a bag. So I'll "mash" in the brew kettle. But, my pot is not big enough to do a full grain bill, so I have the DME to make up the difference.

Ok that makes sense. Here is an existing Irish Red recipe -- yours looks pretty inline stat-wise with yours being more hoppy and higher in ABV.

I think that's not bad for what you have on hand.

Ok that makes sense. Here is an existing Irish Red recipe -- yours looks pretty inline stat-wise with yours being more hoppy and higher in ABV.

I think that's not bad for what you have on hand.

I was curious about using a pound of Red Wheat, though. It seems like it might be a bit much. Will certainly be unique, if nothing else.

If you're able to, make sure you rinse the grain bag with water you've raised to 170 degrees F. And I always squeeze the bag when I used to BIAB.

Back