Recipe Critique: Hazyish IPA with Kveik Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ca_baracus

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here's what I'm thinking for my next brew. Really want to try out Omega Hordnindal yeast due to the fruity esters it gives off. I'm kind of thinking a Trillium Congress Street feel with the Columbus to help balance out the yeast and fruitiness of the Galaxy. Hoping for a fruity, dank finished product. Any thoughts would be appreciated! I did see a Beer Advocate forum where JC from Trillium stated that they save all the Galaxy for the dry hop additions.

5.5 Gal
57.9 IBU
OG - 1.063

11lbs - 2 Row
2lbs - Flaked Wheat

1oz - Columbus (60 mins)
.5oz - Columbus (10 mins)

2oz - Columbus (WP @ 170º; 30 mins)

6oz - Galaxy (DH)
1.5oz - Columbus (DH)

Hornindal Kveik Yeast
Water adjustments per Braufessor's massive NEIPA thread

The recipe looks very good and I think you can easily brew it the way it is.

I am not a fan of using a 60' bittering charge anymore, and especially 1 whole oz of Columbus which is very high AA%. I would personally hop in the last 15 minutes and add a bit of Galaxy in the whirlpool. I found out that whirlpooling hops at a lower temp. does really emphasize the aroma and flavour of hops. I brew various Pale ales without dry hopping, but a large whirlpool and turn out very good.

The recipe looks very good and I think you can easily brew it the way it is.

I am not a fan of using a 60' bittering charge anymore, and especially 1 whole oz of Columbus which is very high AA%. I would personally hop in the last 15 minutes and add a bit of Galaxy in the whirlpool. I found out that whirlpooling hops at a lower temp. does really emphasize the aroma and flavour of hops. I brew various Pale ales without dry hopping, but a large whirlpool and turn out very good.
Thanks for the input. So even though Beer Smith calculates this as 58 IBUs, you think it would be too bitter? Maybe I could lessen the 60min charge to .5oz and add the other .5 at 15min. Maybe I can add an oz of Galaxy for the whirlpool... I'm really looking to get the dank, pungent, Columbus backbone. I don't know enough to determine if adding the Galaxy in would affect that. I was just going by JC's post here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...congress-st-clone-recipe.267947/#post-3411728

I don't think 58 IBUs is a lot or too much, no. It also depends how well you nail the rest of the process, like water profile, mash temp., fermentation, etc.

Columbus will add dank notes when used in late additions and dry hopping. You really need to struggle to cover Columbus in the dry hop, but Galaxy could be one of those hops that can. Now from things I've read and some few brews with Galaxy, it does have a dank side of its own, so the combination will definitely get you there.

Ok, here's what I'm thinking now:

11lbs - 2 Row
2lbs - Flaked Wheat

1.5oz - Columbus (15 mins)

2oz - Columbus (WP @ 170º; 30 mins)
1oz - Galaxy (WP @ 170º; 30 mins)

6oz - Galaxy (DH)
1.5oz - Columbus (DH)

Latest posts

Back