New IPA recipe using Galaxy, Azacca, and CTZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Sanchez

Reaction score
I’ve been working on an IPA recipe based on Grains, Hops, and Yeast I have in stock at home.
I do no sparge brewing when I brew a 5.5-6.5 gallon batch. I may do a 2 gallon sparge to collect any extra sugars. All depends on how I feel on brew day. I have this recipe set up on beersmith as no sparge. I also use RO water. This will be a 6.25 gallon batch

Water Profile

Mash Vol: 7.68 gal
Calcium: 152.2 ppm - Magnesium: 17.0 ppm
Sodium: 18.7 ppm - Sulfate: 297.2 ppm
Chloride: 99.5 ppm - Bicarbonate: 49.4 ppm
Residual Alkalinity: -78.2 ppm
Sulfite/Chloride Ratio: 2.99

Gypsum 12g
Cal Chloride 6g
Epsom Salt 5g
Baking Soda 2g

Grain Bill

OG 1.061
5.8 SRM

12lbs 4oz Weyermann Pils 84.5%
2lbs Rye Malt 13.8%
4oz Great Western Crystal 75 1.7%

Hops

65.8 IBU

1 oz Azacca 30 mins 31 ibu
2 oz Galaxy 10 mins 27.3 ibu
1 oz CTZ whole cone 5 mins 7.5 ibu

Yeast nutrient and whirlfloc tab at 15 mins

Yeast

4 generation 1968 wyeast

Dry hop
4 oz Galaxy

Going for a west coast IPA that’s smooth in bitterness with a great amount of hop flavor and aroma. Definitely letting the Galaxy shine with this brew. Azacca it brings a nice citrus grapefruit flavor that I love. I have a jar of frozen cone CTZ that’s been around for 2 years figure to finally clear it from my stock of hops and make room. Plus CTZ is old school definitely hope it can bring some dankness to the brew.

You can’t go wrong with German Pilsner malt. I always use it as my base or blend it with 2 row. I love what Rye does for overall mouthfeel and flavor. I don’t get any spicy ness that we perceive from rye bread. It definitely rounds out the malt flavor. The c75 is there for some color bump not so much toward flavor as you can see I’m just adding a touch of it.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers!!!

Last edited:
I find Galaxy to be pretty potent. I like Azacca and use it quite often in NEIPA's. For me personally, I would flip the amount of Azacca and Galaxy and do 2:1 Azacca to Galaxy but that's just me. I like CTZ but never used whole cones.
Everything else looks good to me.

I find Galaxy to be pretty potent. I like Azacca and use it quite often in NEIPA's. For me personally, I would flip the amount of Azacca and Galaxy and do 2:1 Azacca to Galaxy but that's just me. I like CTZ but never used whole cones.
Everything else looks good to me.

Yea I only have so much azacca. I’ll have to weigh out what I have again to see if I could incorporate it more into this recipe. If I have more I may add it to the dry hop. I won’t exceed anymore than 4 oz of dry hop. I agree w you on galaxy being potent but it’s just so good.

I'll echo the comment on Galaxy's potentcy. I never use it as more that 1/3 of the hop bill, and lately I've been having more success adding 1-2 oz of Galaxy to the dry hop and thats it. At the same time, I recommend upping your total dry hop to 6-8 oz. You could supplement the dry hop with Azacca, a small amount of CTZ, or Centennial would work great as well.

I'll echo the comment on Galaxy's potentcy. I never use it as more that 1/3 of the hop bill, and lately I've been having more success adding 1-2 oz of Galaxy to the dry hop and thats it. At the same time, I recommend upping your total dry hop to 6-8 oz. You could supplement the dry hop with Azacca, a small amount of CTZ, or Centennial would work great as well.

I could add more for dry hop. I don’t believe a 5.5 gallon batch of beer needs 1/2 a pound of dry hops. If need be after tasting it I’ll add 2 more oz as a second dry hop. Definitely would want to add another hop if I do. Azacca and centennial would make a great combo addition to the mix.

What's the purpose of the baking soda?

At the same time, I recommend upping your total dry hop to 6-8 oz.
Not long ago I would totally agree with you but in both my personal brewing and in way too much reading, it seems this is no longer the case.
Some interesting reading here:
https://patspints.com/2019/01/16/the-surprising-science-of-dry-hopping-lessons-from-tom-shellhammer/

http://brulosophy.com/2019/06/24/investigating-the-dry-hop-saturation-point-exbeeriment-results/

My last 3 beers (I brew more IPA's and Pale Ales than anything else) have proved to me that I can both save money and still make very tasty, aromatic and hoppy beers with less than 4 oz of dry hops.

Not long ago I would totally agree with you but in both my personal brewing and in way too much reading, it seems this is no longer the case.
Some interesting reading here:
https://patspints.com/2019/01/16/the-surprising-science-of-dry-hopping-lessons-from-tom-shellhammer/

http://brulosophy.com/2019/06/24/investigating-the-dry-hop-saturation-point-exbeeriment-results/

My last 3 beers (I brew more IPA's and Pale Ales than anything else) have proved to me that I can both save money and still make very tasty, aromatic and hoppy beers with less than 4 oz of dry hops.

I religiously read and listen to Brülosophy. I’m convinced with less is more. I’ve had hop creep and I’ve had hop astringent beers where it took 3-6 weeks before they were drinkable. There for I wasted hops and time. Low dose and if you want more add a little more.

I would not waste your galaxy or Azacca just to pick up ibus in your boil. I’d use the Columbus in boil for that at 60 and then whirlpool the azcca and galaxy auditions at 160*. You’ll get the most flavor/aroma on the hot side this way and still hit your ibus.

I would not waste your galaxy or Azacca just to pick up ibus in your boil. I’d use the Columbus in boil for that at 60 and then whirlpool the azcca and galaxy auditions at 160*. You’ll get the most flavor/aroma on the hot side this way and still hit your ibus.

I may take you on that. I have a jaded chiller so I can chill down very quick and add in those hops. Tho when I do steeping hop additions I add them at 180 for about 20 mins then chill down to pitching temp. Thinking about this reminds me need to attach my whirlpool elbow and ball valves here my temp gauge is located.

I may take you on that. I have a jaded chiller so I can chill down very quick and add in those hops. Tho when I do steeping hop additions I add them at 180 for about 20 mins then chill down to pitching temp. Thinking about this reminds me need to attach my whirlpool elbow and ball valves here my temp gauge is located.
The lower you go in temp the less ibus you’ll gain and the less aroma/flavor compounds will be denatured. Everyone has there preference but I brew my west coast IPAS with the same hop schedule an my New England, the only different is the amount of hops at 60 mins.

The lower you go in temp the less ibus you’ll gain and the less aroma/flavor compounds will be denatured. Everyone has there preference but I brew my west coast IPAS with the same hop schedule an my New England, the only different is the amount of hops at 60 mins.

Ok. I did a v1.1 on this recipe with just adding:
1oz ctz at fwh 60 mins
2 oz each galaxy azacca at 160.

Not sure when I’m brewing this so I have time to contemplate my hop additions.

So I should shouldn’t add any?

Are you using a spreadsheet to estimate the mash pH? I plugged your recipe into one and it's plausible, so if you're using one that normally gives you good results, then go for it.

Are you using a spreadsheet to estimate the mash pH? I plugged your recipe into one and it's plausible, so if you're using one that normally gives you good results, then go for it.

Yes I use beersmith and the waters brewer spreadsheet.

Back