recipe conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connord

Reaction score
I just started brewing a few months or so ago and have had good luck so far, but I need some help converting an all grain recipe to extract.
This is what I have:
Pale 2-row = 70%
Marris Otter = 20%
Carastan = 10%
Chocolate = 3% (of total grain)
Original Gravity is 1.052

If you recall I posted a while back and asked in any one had a Third Stone Brown clone, not much luck, so I contacted the brewers and they were nice enough to go give me this.

Thanks for your help

Can you do a partial mash? It's easy with a grain bag and a good thermometer. I don't think Maris otter comes in an extract, so you'd need to mash it with the other specialty grains.

What size boil do you want to do?

What about hops?

boil would be 5 gal
I was going to convert the 2-row to LME and steep the rest of the grains.
Ive done some digging and came up with this.
LME = 6#
Morris Otter = 2.3 (steep)
Carastan = 1.5# (steep)
Chocolate = .34# (steep)
Hops = Willamette (flavor and aroma IBU 13)
Yeast = American Ale or London Ale

OG 1.051

Well, you can't steep base grain. but you can mash it, which is very much like a steep. How about this?

In a grain bag:
2 pounds MO
1 pound carastan
6 ounces chocolate

5 pounds LME

You would heat 5.25 quarts of water to 168, and then put the grain bag in. Keep the mash at 153-155 for 45 minutes. Then, pour 2 gallons of 170 degree water over the grain bag (lift it up out of the pot and put it in a strainer over the pot).

Then, you can add water to bring up your boil volume and add the LME and boil as usual.

To keep it at mash temp just turn on the flame untill its back in range, or would it be better to put the grain bag and 168 water in a cooler?

To keep it at mash temp just turn on the flame untill its back in range, or would it be better to put the grain bag and 168 water in a cooler?

Since it's such a small amount, a pot would be fine. You probably won't even need to turn the flame back on but you can if you drop below 153. Stir it very well, to make sure all the grains are wetted and that the temperature is uniform throughout.

Sounds easy enough.
One last question
Im not sure if my local brew shop has Carastan would it be ok to sub crystal 30L?

Now all I need is an empty frementer to put it in.
Thanks for your help.
Ill let you know how it comes out.

Back