Recent Nottingham Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you been having problems with Nottingham?

• No problems here, it's still a madman

• I have many problems, but yeast isn't one of them.

• Me too, I miss the Nottingham that I know and love.

• I don't use Nottingham

Results are only viewable after voting.
I may not have suspected this without your thread, but I did an experiment splitting a 10 gallon batch in half, using S-05 and Notty.

The S-05 kicked ass, like 2-1 in bubble action, blowing the Notty away. They finished within 1 point-Notty being higher. I saved the cakes after racking to kegs, keeping the yeast just below ferm temps and a couple days later, threw a 10 gallon batch of house Ale on them. The S-05 again took the lead, but I can't say that the Notty hasn't performed adequately-just that the perceived rate of S-05 ferm was much faster and earlier than the Notty. They both had about 1 month in primary.

This was from the batch that preceded the supply shortage, as I had gotten a lot beforehand. I cannot say for sure that this was the old packaging batch, however, just that it was dated much earlier than my subsequent purchase.

I brewed a batch about 3 weeks ago with Nottingham, though I can't say for certain if it was the new or the old because I don't use it often. It was a twenty gallon batch of blonde at about 1.042 with 5 gallons and one pack of yeast per fermenter. I aerated with O2 and did not rehydrate the yeast. Pitching temp was around 65 deg F.

Lag time was approximately 48 hours and the fermentation was not particularly vigorous. This is a highly unusual lag time for my process with this type of beer. I ended up ramping the ambient temp from ~62 deg F to ~68 deg F to increase activity toward the end of the ferment.

As for the results, attenuation was within two points of what was expected for this strain (1.010 if memory serves). At 3.5 weeks the beer is drinking and tastes fine. Flocculation was horrible, but I haven't used this yeast often enough to know if that is par for the course. I did not go to any great lengths by crashing, filtering, or fining, but even so the flocculation was below average when compared to the S04 or S05.

Given the results and the cost difference, I would not hesitate to stick with the Safale strains if this is typical of the "new" Nottingham. The beer still tasted great, but the lackluster fermentation, longer lag and finish times, poor flocculation, and higher cost do not make it my first choice for dry yeast.

I just had a thought: do they have batch numbers on the packs?

I'll take a look when I get home. It might be certain batches that have issues.

My package has a Lot Number: 108360088V Exp: 08-2010

OP: Do all of your remaining packages have the same Lot Nums??

I've used 3 packets in the last three weeks and every one has been active within 6 hours and i've needed a blowoff tube on all three. Even fermenting 5 gals in a 6 gal carboy the bowl of starsan the blowoff tube was sitting in was full of hop residue and foam.

i've used the "new" nottingham on at least four batches and every one has fermented quickly. two of them are now finished beers and taste great, the samples for the other two taste equally great, no off flavors, no exceptionally long lag time.

i'd say that with dry yeast, 2 out of every 3 batches of mine take off within a few hours and are bubbling by the time i go to bed. that other third can take from 12-48 hours before taking off, but usually still make great beer.

this past weekend i pitched a brand new pack of us-05 and it took 24 hours before i got a krausen and consistent bubbling, but it's going strong now. conversely a few months ago i pitched an old pack of s-04 which took off almost immediately, required a blow off tube and then crapped out at 1.022 (og 1.06).

by the poll it looks like ~90% of nottingham users aren't having problems. if you've been having problems i don't blame you for moving towards s-04 and s-05 (which are great yeasts), but i wouldn't write nottingham off completely unless more people start to have problems.

by the poll it looks like ~90% of nottingham users aren't having problems. if you've been having problems i don't blame you for moving towards s-04 and s-05 (which are great yeasts), but i wouldn't write nottingham off completely unless more people start to have problems.

I already keep a few packs of s-04 and us-05 on hand. I have been putting off getting the equipment for slanting liquid yeast for awhile now, and I finally jumped the gun last night and ordered what I needed. I will keep the packs of Nottingham that I have for emergencies, but liquid grown from slants will be my primary yeast now.
I just put too much time and effort into a batch to risk it to a $1.50 pack of yeast. I see by the poll that most people aren't having any problems, but there are a few others that are. I am leaning towards the idea of a tainted batch or 2, not nottingham having gone down the tubes.

I've only used this yeast 2-3 times. Always fermented fine, but I did not find it a particularly 'clean' taste. Maybe there was something with those particular batches. I dunno.

I haven't had any issues with it. granted I'm a newbie and only used it three times so far.
Just did a batch of applebee with notty ale yeast and had airlock activity in about 4 hrs, full roaring fermentation by the following morning.
Just at the 10 day mark now and it's starting to slow down a bit.
I also rehydrate ,but after 10-15 minutes I add about an 1/8th tsp of sugar.
A throw back from my bread making days.

My IPA did take longer to take off than previous experience with Nottingham as I have said earlier, but I can't draw a conclusion because I never have fermented Nottingham this cool (57F). It has fermented quite steadily at 57F and everything looks to be on track. Primary fermentation is winding down now, 6 days after pitching. I'll be dry hopping in the primary, letting it sit a week and then transfer to the secondary for a week to let it clear further/age.

I just tested it side by side with US-05. I did a 10 G batch and pitched one packet in each. From OG 1.046 the US05 finished 1.010 and the Nottingham finished 1.009. I'm not having any issues with it at all.

I used Notty in 2 batches back in Febuary and had long lag times and one of them stalled out. I'm pretty sure they were the new packages and I've never had a dry yeast take off slowly before. Perhaps it depends on how they were stored or a certain lot.

I just thought it was something I did or I had some bad yeast.

I made a batch of Centennial Blonde last weekend and it took about 24 hours for the Nottingham to kick in. It finished by Friday at 1.009 which is good for me. I remember the older packets starting faster but I leave them in the primary for at least a week so it doesn't matter to me.

I just brewed Centennial Blonde late Saturday. It' been 45 hours and there's no activity at all. I had one of the orange packets. Rehydrated per instructions. Used servomyces in brew and aerated using a paint stirrer for about 15 minutes. Ambient temp about 66F but the strip thermometer says it's 70F (whats with that?). There's about a 1 inch layer of krausen formed.

My 4th brew so still a newbie.

Does the krausen forming mean things are progressing slowly? Any advice on how long to wait before re-pitching?

Thanks.

Pitched 11g of nottingham into 5 gal of 1.043 beer and it took about 48 hours to start... only the second time I used notty, but it definitely started after 6 hours last time...

I just brewed Centennial Blonde late Saturday. It' been 45 hours and there's no activity at all. I had one of the orange packets. Rehydrated per instructions. Used servomyces in brew and aerated using a paint stirrer for about 15 minutes. Ambient temp about 66F but the strip thermometer says it's 70F (whats with that?). There's about a 1 inch layer of krausen formed.

My 4th brew so still a newbie.

Does the krausen forming mean things are progressing slowly? Any advice on how long to wait before re-pitching?

Thanks.

I would say the the krausen means things are progressing. What are basing the no activity on? Air lock?

I pitched a Nottingham packet into a 5.5 gallon of 1.049 pale ale Sunday @ 5:00 pm. It was hydrated per package and it and wort temp was 72 degrees. By 5:00 pm today (monday) it had started. Ambient temp of water bath is 55 degrees. This only my third try with Nottingham, but no problems yet.

Just an update, I am now at 3 batches in a row that will not attenuate below 1.016. One was mashed at 152 and the other 2 at 150 for 90 minutes. All 3 batches were from the same lot number that I mentioned above.
I guess I am just gonna throw out the other 11 packets that I have. :(

Just an update, I am now at 3 batches in a row that will not attenuate below 1.016. One was mashed at 152 and the other 2 at 150 for 90 minutes. All 3 batches were from the same lot number that I mentioned above.

Not sure what's going on there, but I've had no problems whatsoever. Just brewed a big IPA. I mashed at 150 for 75 minutes and my OG was 1.070. My FG just a week later was 1.010!!! It's in the new packaging fwiw.

what recipes? If you have any crystal malts that will raise your FG.

Think I'd be asking for a refund.And if mail ordered--asking for a pre-printed UPS label to cover shipping.

I just kegged a cream ale made with Nottie.

It went from 1.058 to 1.007 in three weeks. Very clean taste, low in esters.

This brew took off like gangbusters, VERY vigorous fermentation that started within two hours.

I do rehydrate dry yeast.

My IPA with new nottingham that I fermented cold (57F) finished at 1.012, which was my target final gravity (mashed at 154.5F). It did take a bit to take off, but I credit that to my cold fermentation temperature.

Thanks. Take a gravity reading and see what's up. Been almost a week now.

L-I-B!

Not a single bubble out of the damn air lock for a week - not one that I saw anyway. Just took a gravity reading - 1.012. The exact target FG (OG 1.050). Couldn't believe my eyes.

Amazing. I'm ready to bottle. Smells and tastes a little bitter but this is my first time using centennial and cascades so I suspect that's normal. Bottle condition for a couple of weeks and I bet its going to be a great brew.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help.

two packets of rehydrated notty just took my IIPA from 1.076 down to 1.008 - that's almost 90% apparent attenuation! Mashed at about 150F and fermented around 61F for about 3 days until main fermentation was complete then moved it up to 68 for the past week and a half. Just racked to secondary with 2 oz. of centennial.

Anyone having problems with Notty and considering tossing them out might want to try two packets.

Well, on Friday I bottled an IPA. It was the batch I brewed three weeks ago that started slowly but bubbled away for about a week. Well, it went from 1.071 to 1.011, 84 percent apparent. That was with one of the new packets. I have one more and will use it in the next few weeks and report back.

Oh, and the taste was wonderful! Even at only three weeks old and with no carbonation I drank nearly twelve ounces and found it quite pleasant. No, I don't think I'd drink a lot of it, but it was in no way sweet or yeasty. I can't wait until this thing is carbed!

I sprinkled some Notty onto my Mild on Friday night, and by the time I woke up Saturday, I had airlock activity. Don't know about the attenuation yet...

Back