Re-using yeast from fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
Does any one out there have any experience re-using yeast? I have been wanting to try this for a while, but my local brewmaster told me that it will only stay good in the fridge for a few days. It would be nice if i could keep it longer, like a couple of weeks.

Absolutely! We do it all the time. First, the easiest is to just pitch a new batch right on the existing yeast cake out of the primary. What that means is, rack your first beer to secondary or keg or bottling bucket. Then, make another batch at the same time, and pitch the new batch right on the yeast cake in that primary fermenter. Quick, easy, and a great fermentation.

Otherwise, see our thread on yeast washing if you want to save the yeast for longer than a day or two. Yeast washing works well, and I have a stock of liquid yeast in the fridge. At $7 or so a pack, it's well worth washing and saving all the liquid yeast you can!

So the re-used yeast is just as good as new packages? Since you're mixing up whats left on the bottom won't you get alot of dead/old cells? Atleast when you buy a new package you have cold young yeast cells that are dormant. So one small jar is equal to one package of liquid yeast? Or do you have to use more in a starter? I read that thread about yeast washing but I'm really unfamiliar with it since I just finished my first brew.

So the re-used yeast is just as good as new packages? Since you're mixing up whats left on the bottom won't you get alot of dead/old cells? Atleast when you buy a new package you have cold young yeast cells that are dormant. So one small jar is equal to one package of liquid yeast? Or do you have to use more in a starter? I read that thread about yeast washing but I'm really unfamiliar with it since I just finished my first brew.

When you wash the yeast, you don't have "dead/old cells"- you'll have yeast. You then have yeast in your fridge, and you make a starter and wake them up, just like a vial from the LHBS. I have small jars of clean beautiful white yeast.

I'm lazy so I'll usually pitch two more beers on a yeast cake :-D

Just have to time it so you rack and brew on the same day.

When you wash the yeast, you don't have "dead/old cells"- you'll have yeast. You then have yeast in your fridge, and you make a starter and wake them up, just like a vial from the LHBS. I have small jars of clean beautiful white yeast.
Well I'm gonna have to try this then after my primary. SWMBO might not like a bunch of mason jars in the fridge though, guess I'll have to get a mini fridge for my bottles and yeast collections :rockin:

Great job on the yeast tutorial, it was very helpful. How long have you stored yeast in the fridge with success?
Do you think i can do this process with the yeast i got from my last batch that is in the fridge? (2 weeks old)
I get the feeling that this forum is going to take over my life!! :ban:

Well I'm gonna have to try this then after my primary. SWMBO might not like a bunch of mason jars in the fridge though, guess I'll have to get a mini fridge for my bottles and yeast collections

Nah, get a full sized fridge - you'll fill it. The freezer space is good for hops and longer-term yeast storage if you look into that option. And oddly enough, if energy is a concern (it should be, IMO) you'll often find that a carefully chosen full-sized fridge uses less energy (thus costs you less to run) than a mini-fridge. If you can manage to find one that isn't auto-defrost, so much the better.

The yeast washing thread is excellent and I have used that method several times with great success. I currently have hefe yeast and US-05 in pint mason jars and will be washing my kolsch yeast when I bottle that batch. At $6-$8 a vial for liquid yeast it is well worth harvesting and re-using. I have found however that when you make a starter with the reclaimed yeast it can take 2-3 days for it to wake up and start doing it's thing.

I must be missing it or it's so simple I'm over thinking it.
BUT, what is the method of transferring the yeast from fermenter to the Jar to the other Jar? Are you just pouring it? Or are you using a racking cane? And if your racking, how are you keeping the tubing and cane sterile?

I must be missing it or it's so simple I'm over thinking it.
BUT, what is the method of transferring the yeast from fermenter to the Jar to the other Jar? Are you just pouring it? Or are you using a racking cane? And if your racking, how are you keeping the tubing and cane sterile?

Dont over think it Bro... Yes Just dump and dump and dump!!! Just take care of your sanitation!! Hands, table, air, neck of both vessels ETC....
Cheeeeeeeeers ( Yes I have been drinking)
JJ

I'm going from my primary to secondary. What is the best way to reuse the yeast even though I am not brewing for a few more weeks?

Is there a quick way of doing it. I did see the illustration but do not have the time to boil and cool the water with the storing vessels. I realize taking time is the prudent way but I kind of got stuck behind the eight ball and wont be able to get it done for anothe three days. It has been in primary for a week.

Is there a quick way of doing it. I did see the illustration but do not have the time to boil and cool the water with the storing vessels. I realize taking time is the prudent way but I kind of got stuck behind the eight ball and wont be able to get it done for anothe three days. It has been in primary for a week.

Well, the sterilizing the jars ensures that no "bugs" can take hold of your yeast. If you're comfortable taking a chance by just sanitizing the jars, then you could do that. It only takes a few minutes to boil the jars, though.

Somewhat off-topic, but lately I haven't had the time or the extra money to brew nearly as often as I really want. What has been working for me is to culture the yeast from my own bottles. My last batch of Irish Red Ale was fermented with Wyeast Irish Ale yeast that I harvested from a bottle of my Dry Irish Stout. I stepped it up to a 2 quart starter and pitched it. In a way I guess you could look at every bottle of your homebrew as yeast culture storage vessel.

I used harvested yeast all the time, without washing it, and without problems. I am as sanitary as possible when dealing with the yeast, and refridgerate it immediately. I try to use the harvested yeast as soon as possible, but I've used jarred yeast collections up to a month old with excellent results. I just harvested a 2nd generation culture of two different california yeast strains from the yeast cake of my Riesling Ale. I'll be using this culture to make the second batch of Riesling Ale.

If you want to reuse the yeast immediately, rack your first beer to another vessel, and brew a new batch the same day. Then just dump your new wort on top of the yeast cake. It works great.

Good Luck!

5gB

Back