Raspberry wheat from Carver Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
Most of you have probably never heard of Carver Brewing in Durango, Co, but they brew excellent beers and my wife is in love with their raspberry wheat. Her birthday is coming up and I want to make her a clone. Any advice? In particular should go with an American or German wheat base and how so I add the raspberry? How much, when, and how do I keep it from getting to sour? I have been thinking about maybe adding some honey malt or lactose to offset any sour flavor. A little tart is good but not to much.

Please help

many Thanks

Their website says its a simple wheat beer consisting of 2 row and wheat malt.

I brew a simple jalapeno raspberry beer that has won a handful of medals that basically has the same stats as their beer. My version is not overly sweet like many people are describing their beer.

The recipe below will give you something close that I'm sure will be enjoyed.
I plan my recipe so that I will put 5.5 gallons into secondary to account for berry volume loss.

50% 2-row
50% White Wheat

60m addition of .4oz - .5oz Magnum or another clean bittering hop (20 ibu)

mash 150°-152°
Carbonate on the high side

WLP029 fermented at 62 for 14 days then rack beer onto 4.5 lbs of frozen store bought raspberries let sit on the raspberries till they turn white. This takes 5 days give or take. I don't bother thawing the berries before putting the in secondary.

In general raspberries for a cap and you can avoid getting much of anything into the keg. I have sanitized a hop sock and slid it over my racking cane output along with a rubber band to catch any stray bits successfully.

You could use the american here yeast but I think the Kolsch strain is better for well everything.

p8100236-63539.jpg

Thank you! that looks delicious! I haven't heard too many people complaint of their beer being sweet, but the opposite seems to be the problem. Complaints of the raspberries making the beer to tart and sour. Do you have that problem? Also, how strong/noticable is the raspberry flavor in the beer? Subtle or readily present?

it is present the beer is not tart rather crisp and refreshing I would say. It has a slight soda quality to it i suppose. very drinkable.

Back