Raspberry Porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude22

Reaction score
Anyone ever brew an all grain raspberry Porter? I am thinking of using smoked malt and freeze dried raspberries.

not sure how the smoked malt would play with the raspberries. I'm not really partial to either smoked beers or raspberries. If you were going to use smoked malt I'd keep the % pretty low.
I've used dried cranberries in a beer one time. I just took about a quart of first runnings and steeped the cranberries in it during the boil. After the boil I mashed up the cranberries and added it to the final wort. It turned out great!

Responding similar to bobeer, smoked malts and fruits like raspberries don't sound like a match made in heaven. However a chocolate stout with raspberries is more appealing in my mind.

I just did a raspberry wheat at my wife's request. Not to be bothered with the muss and fuss of berries or puree, I searched hi and lo for a premium extract. It came in the form of McCormick's Raspberry all natural extract but hard to find and $8 per ounce. Anyway, it is outstanding and all natural tasting. You could always make your beer, then try a taste with a bit of raspberry extract to see if its gross. If it is, you haven't wasted a bunch of crummy beer. It may surprise you and be good....add more extract to the keg or bottling bucket.

My experience with putting fruit in Porters is that its a very subdued flavor..You almost have to be told its there...I would think any smoked malt would nullify it completely.

I made one based on BCS "Who's your Taddy" porter.

The berries were frozen, thawed, then put in the blender with a splash of vodka then pureed.

I ended up putting ~1.5 gallons of it on ~1 lb. pureed raspberries in the secondary.

You can tell it is different than the regular porter, but this isn't enough raspberries to tell they are raspberries. If I were to do it again, I might add 50% more raspberries or maybe even double them.

fwiw, DuClaw in Maryland makes a Stout by adding a Chocolate Raspberry Coffee to the grain bill in their Naked Fish. This was something I liked enough to fill a growler/keg with and put on my tap. It's on my bucket list of clones to make.

If you are looking for a big fresh raspberry flavor, not this beer. This one is more like a nice surprise find when you reach into the box of chocolates. For me, I don't like big fruit flavors in my beer, but really like the balance when it's an accent that enhances the other flavors. Chocolate and coffee are, IMO, a great compliment here.

Anyway, gourmet coffee intrigues me as a way to add raspberry.

Latest posts

Back