Apple Raspberry Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_0106

Reaction score
Thinking of doing an Apple and Raspberry mead.

So far I've never made a cyser but from what I read it seems pretty simple. Just substitute the water with apple juice?

I'm planning on doing about 2lb of honey, 250grams of frozen raspberries and fill to the gallon mark with apple juice?

Does that sound okay?

I have done several raspberry cysers similar to what you described, and they turned out great!

I have done several raspberry cysers similar to what you described, and they turned out great!

Great! I take it my method seems sound thne. I'll get the batch made up tonight.
What yeast did you use? I have 71B, S04, Mangrove Jacks "Mead" yeast (although I hear that has a long ferment time) and a few Gervin wine yeasts.
Last time I used 71B it stalled at 11% and I couldn't get it going again

Long rambling response below, if you are an experienced brewer it may be unnecessary, but someone else might gain something in reading it.

I haven't used any of the other yeasts you mentioned except 71B, so I will not make a recommendation. I use K1V-1116 for all my meads. There are probably better choices, but it works for me.

Your mead will end up about 12% ABV. With the ratios you have chosen, your cyser will be more apple than raspberry. I think that is good in a cyser.

I usually add the raspberries in secondary, or late in primary, but you can do them from the start if you prefer. Any of these choices will work. Either way, I suggest adding them (thawed) in a bag for easier removal and racking. Remove the berries when they look depleted. Remember to punch them down regularly so they do not mold floating on top.

I would recommend using a nutrient protocol of some sort. For this brew, I would add 1/4 of the nutrients when I saw evidence of fermentation (usually about 12 hours) and then 1/4 each 24 hours afterwards (24, 48, 72). These are not set in stone, do what works for you. DAP, Fermaid-K, or Fermaid-O would all be fine. I don't know what you have readily available in Dublin, any brewing nutrient (or boiled bread yeast) is probably better than none.

Since you have some nutrients in the cider itself, you can consider reducing the nutrients added, perhaps by half.

When your 71B stalled, were you using nutrients?

If you sanitize your equipment, properly rehydrate the yeast before adding to the must, aerate the must, and use nutrients added in a staggered protocol, you will almost certainly end up with a worthwhile mead.

Oh, and use a hydrometer!

Long rambling response below, if you are an experienced brewer it may be unnecessary, but someone else might gain something in reading it.

I haven't used any of the other yeasts you mentioned except 71B, so I will not make a recommendation. I use K1V-1116 for all my meads. There are probably better choices, but it works for me.

Your mead will end up about 12% ABV. With the ratios you have chosen, your cyser will be more apple than raspberry. I think that is good in a cyser.

I usually add the raspberries in secondary, or late in primary, but you can do them from the start if you prefer. Any of these choices will work. Either way, I suggest adding them (thawed) in a bag for easier removal and racking. Remove the berries when they look depleted. Remember to punch them down regularly so they do not mold floating on top.

I would recommend using a nutrient protocol of some sort. For this brew, I would add 1/4 of the nutrients when I saw evidence of fermentation (usually about 12 hours) and then 1/4 each 24 hours afterwards (24, 48, 72). These are not set in stone, do what works for you. DAP, Fermaid-K, or Fermaid-O would all be fine. I don't know what you have readily available in Dublin, any brewing nutrient (or boiled bread yeast) is probably better than none.

Since you have some nutrients in the cider itself, you can consider reducing the nutrients added, perhaps by half.

If you sanitize your equipment, properly rehydrate the yeast before adding to the must, aerate the must, and use nutrients added in a staggered protocol, you will almost certainly end up with a worthwhile mead.

Haha yeah I've brewed a few meads, beers and ciders so have most of the gear.
I usually add the berries in primary and then when racking, I'll remove them and replenish with another batch of berries. Helps bring the colour and flavour out in the finished mead.

I usually aim for a 14% or 1.1ish OG mead and let it finish dry so might up my honey amount. Sure I'll find out when I start mixing things. Will keep you posted here on how I get on

Okay so, made my must, put the 1 gal inside a 6 gal and filled with water and aquarium heater at 75 degrees F and it fermented all the way dry in 7 days to 14.2%. Thats the fastest ferment I've ever had. Its been going about 3 weeks now so will rack to secondary next week.

Back