Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaping Over Llamas
Leaning On Ladders
Left Over Legumes
Laparoscopic Onyx Lifting

Context is important.

Also, use commas.

There are many easier ways to find a water pipe but few are more exciting than using a 16” steel pile.

How was your day?
BC59E2CF-3E93-402D-B8E4-3F72786F0ACB.jpeg

Last edited:
Drunk or deaf? I thought for sure Donna asked me if there was a spaetzle election coming up in the county. Spaetzle election? Like a cook off? With the cooks in lederhosen and dirndels? And maybe some dimpled glasses with Helles and Dunkelweisen? Great image to drift off to sleep, but maybe she said special election.

Havin' a couple, two, tree Jack's Abby House Lagers, takin down the Xmas tree, and suddenly my stupid brain is singing "Ba Who Doris".

I hate when that happens.

"...heart to heart and hand in haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand..."

i went from 177lbs to 180lbs, i've still got the s.o.b. in a choke hold....it admited i'm still 177, but aparently i need to moveuver my knee into it's side to fess up i'm actually 176.....🤣 i love science! :mug:

everyone will be glad to know, the scale conceded i was right all along, and it was 176 this morning.....(i feel kinda sorry for having to use the knee, but you gotta keep things like that in their place! 🤣)

:mug:

in court, just politly say to the judge "as you can see sir, my client has a metabolic rate of 2820 a day. and the records plainly show that he has only been consuming ~2700...which is a defiecit of 120 calories. multiplied by 32 days, and figuring 3500 calories a pound. clearly my client has actually lost a pound, not therefore gained 2-3!"

1642012275712.png

and if the hemotologist files a claim against my client, i will point out he has been meeting all essential nutrient requirments also!

edit: and for those making new years resolutions, before you upgrade to the cron-o-meter java program, to track....it takes about 5-6 months of using the nutrient search tool on www.nutritiondata.com to learn WHAT you want to eat to meet your needs....

Last edited:
I think it's funny how much I love hops but don't care at all for it's cousin cannabis. To me weed smells like a skunks butt and despite that I've smoked it, vaped it, and taken edibles but never got an experience that matched good ol' ethanol. I'm not knocking it or the people that enjoy it but it's not for me.

I think it's funny how much I love hops but don't care at all for it's cousin cannabis. To me weed smells like a skunks butt and despite that I've smoked it, vaped it, and taken edibles but never got an experience that matched good ol' ethanol. I'm not knocking it or the people that enjoy it but it's not for me.

:mug: yeah i'm with you, ethanol CAN be intense too....but it's easy to just brew it to how strong you like it, don't have to worry about double vision if it's only like 4%ABV.... just pissin' a lot.....

Why ever would I "Chop and cook bacon in pan until crispy; remove bacon and WIPE PAN, THEN ADD OLIVE OIL; add chopped Brussels Sprouts and cook until caramelized and tender"

Why remove the bacon grease just to add oil??!! Blasphemy.

I mean, that's the "good stuff"! I even remember in my youth, back when the tectonic plates were still moving about and dinosaurs roamed freely, my Mom had a little container on the window sill above the stove, with a recessed strainer portion under the cap, into which you'd pour the "drippings", to save and reuse later. Because, of course, everyone made bacon with frighteningly anti-low-cholesterol regularity.

Fun side thought: the other day my grown daughter, my grown self professed vegetarian leaning daughter, tells me, "I'm vegetarian Dad, but I still eat bacon." I think she says these things to watch my brain turn into a Mobius strip.

HUGE argument with the BigHair over friggin cooking meat for tacos.

instructions say drain & add water. (yes, we use Old El Paso taco seasoning)

if I'm cooking, I don't drain. the ONLY reason for those instructions are so the company can claim its product is "low fat", when all it's really doing is draining away taste

I FINALLY got her to at least add beef broth instead of water when she does the cooking

I think it's funny how much I love hops but don't care at all for it's cousin cannabis. To me weed smells like a skunks butt and despite that

It also smells like skunky vegetables to me when it’s smoked.

But the flowers in full bloom (Kush strain) smell exactly like Columbus hops to me.

Fun side thought: the other day my grown daughter, my grown self professed vegetarian leaning daughter, tells me, "I'm vegetarian Dad, but I still eat bacon." I think she says these things to watch my brain turn into a Mobius strip.

I get it. Some things are tougher to give up than others.

I’m vegan except for roughly one meal a month. That’s about how often I’m faced with the choice of “eating meat or not eating.” The choice is never going to be “not eating” unless it is something that makes me physically ill (I’m looking at you 😒 dairy).

NEVER i say again NEVER remove the bacon drippings, use that goodness in your pancakes, waffles eggs hash etc then ad butter, (Paula Dean is my hero!)

Do you ever make bacon fat gravy? Can be good if hungry in a winter camp, but maybe not so much as a staple.

The other night I tried to make cheese sauce for a chicken recipe from the meal service, that called for frying up bacon bits to go on top of said cheese sauce; instead of dumping the bacon grease (I too feel that is blasphemy) I used it for the sauce. Did NOT turn out well; I wound up with a brown crumbly icky mess that didn't even vaguely resemble anything I wanted on my chicken. All was not lost, however; said recipe also had garlic mashed potatoes, and those bacon bits were heavenly mixed with them. Silver lining, ya know.

The other night I tried to make cheese sauce for a chicken recipe from the meal service, that called for frying up bacon bits to go on top of said cheese sauce; instead of dumping the bacon grease (I too feel that is blasphemy) I used it for the sauce. Did NOT turn out well; I wound up with a brown crumbly icky mess that didn't even vaguely resemble anything I wanted on my chicken. All was not lost, however; said recipe also had garlic mashed potatoes, and those bacon bits were heavenly mixed with them. Silver lining, ya know.

gotta temper the bacon fat with flour and milk...slowly, until it's thick then slowly melt in the cheese....

Damn near everything I make starts by sauteing an onion in bacon grease.

you saying that makes me remember, i haven't used my "better then boulion bacon base" for anything recently... :mug:

edit: aw damn, now i'm thinking a pinch stired into salsa con queso...and served with split pea chips!!! thanks for the random thought!

At this moment I'm going to pretend I've never researched whether there are fermentable sugars or convertable starches in beans...

i wouldn't even to try to claim i haven't, "just in case", the juggernaut inbev got that kinda hold on me.....

edit: nor will i denie, for awhile i was brewing 7% 10 gallon batches of $8 bags of white rice...

I definitely had a time when I was saying sugar to every beer to boost the ABV to 9%. I didn't take any notes back then, it all lived in my head, and I remember those being some amazing and very intoxicating beers. I remember my sister-in-law wanted to use my stout for "Irish Car Bombs" and I refused because I didn't want Jameson ruining my beer, they used canned Guinness instead. I'm trying to be good (and cheap) now and brew low alcohol beers and tame it down a bit but I end up just buying 8% beers to supplement my very nice (and cheap) homebrews.

Back