Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1629940666434.png

I just brewed what is probably my last kveik of the season....we stay pretty warm here in the Great PNW until mid September. And it's the last one because I'm dead afraid of the heat lamp I have in my ferment fridge. This from the gal who installed NG burners a month or so ago and didn't splode the garage.....yes random but isn't that what this thread is about? Oh look, a dead rat! In my kitchen!! 2 weeks ago courtesy of my formerly feral cat. Neck neatly snapped, he got lots of treats from that.

well i came here with a random thought that needs the math converted.....

so i just got back from the feed store buying a $13 50lb bag of whole barley, which will get me 20 gallons of ~8% ABV beer....

e=mc2? right? so the cheaper you want to drink you got to keep dumping more and more effort into it!

so approaching 'free' beer is impossible.... Effort=Money-Commitment2...but the math doesn't seem quite right, needs to be rearagend some how?

a random thought on topic to my bag of grain. anyone have problems with those easy open fancy "just pull the string!" bags that i can never figure how to pull right to open?

and sadly when i dumping the grain into my storage bin, i saw it had the 'for dummies' easy indicator paper strip on the other end of the bag, DOH! :mug:

a random thought on topic to my bag of grain. anyone have problems with those easy open fancy "just pull the string!" bags that i can never figure how to pull right to open?

and sadly when i dumping the grain into my storage bin, i saw it had the 'for dummies' easy indicator paper strip on the other end of the bag, DOH! :mug:
I think, at last count, I'm up to 10 total bags that I opened without having to resort to scissors. Yes, I'm that damn good.

I think, at last count, I'm up to 10 total bags that I opened without having to resort to scissors. Yes, I'm that damn good.

i hope to get there some time too! but i still need the training strip, think i know now it's the single string side i'm supposed to pull. but i don't know how to get it started still?

i hope to get there some time too! but i still need the training strip, think i know now it's the single string side i'm supposed to pull. but i don't know how to get it started still?

As a yute I traded barn duties and horse riding instruction hours for riding time, so I became quite familiar with opening grain bags.
I place the bag with the single thread side facing me, grab the entire bundle of threads at the right end and cut them all off at the bag. Then fish out the thread that matches the one facing me and pull that towards me going right to left while keeping all the other threads in the back and out of the way.

Works every time...

Cheers!

As a yute I traded barn duties and horse riding instruction hours for riding time, so I became quite familiar with opening grain bags.
I place the bag with the single thread side facing me, grab the entire bundle of threads at the right end and cut them all off at the bag. Then fish out the thread that matches the one facing me and pull that towards me going right to left while keeping all the other threads in the back and out of the way.

Works every time...

Cheers!

for some reason, that's how easy open bags confuse me...on one end of your comment. i should trim the right end with the single thread, then pull to open...on the other hand, i can't tell if you're joking, and just cut the whole thing off and put in trash.....

(i'm surprised the string isn't hemp....) :mug:

at any rate now i just HAVE to watch youtube videos, showing the proper way! i even want to know the technical term for a weave like this now!

You cut the entire bundle, then fish out the "front" string...which occasionally is a different color, which can be helpful...

yeah, well i think i learned what i needed from that video...with the tip on not forming a knot....have to watch it again, but like be careful to look and make sure the single line isn't in a certain postion with the double side....

just pull the string!"
Our cat litter bags come with the "easy" to open string thingy. I call BS! Pretty soon it will just be scissors and no attempt at pulling the string.
I'm batting about .289 and will get sent down to the minors.
I apologize for not being drunken though I believe I nailed "random."

@seatazzz this is playing, and i got a strip for practice fodder.....

failure...after much practice attempts...
Our cat litter bags come with the "easy" to open string thingy. I call BS! Pretty soon it will just be scissors and no attempt at pulling the string.
I'm batting about .289 and will get sent down to the minors.
I apologize for not being drunken though I believe I nailed "random."

i was trimming and trimming, trying to find a patern...and right when i was going to give up, it came undone pulling from the double string side? so i'm still at a loss! next bag i'll practice some more. should be a sticky here if someone figures it out in layman's terms......

well, i was thinking of walking to get the mail....thought i'd check the weather on google....

says there is a 100% chance of rain at 4pm! 🤣 never seen that before! even when it's actually raining outside it's only 30-40% chance! if it's not a down pour at four, i'm losing faith in the weather thing!

591gs carbs for 20lbs of raw punpkin according to the USDA? haloween is coming up lots of left overs.... with the all the vitamin A the beer would have, could be good for night vision? :mug:

Speaking of grain bags and how to open;

While on the road in my Holden HR, back in '90, I spent around 6 weeks working on a 400 acre veg farm in Virginia, pretty near Adelaide, to shore up financials on my long trip 'down under'. Lived in a tent in nearby common, next to a sewage treatment plant, mostly.

Was picking lettuce and some other field stuff w crews, but when they found out I could run fork lift , they had me breaking down pallets of seed potatoes to put in cutter/seeder.

Only reason I remembered this right now was that I remembered the boss was impressed I could open a grain (or potato seed) bag in intended manner.

They asked me to tell any other 'yanks ' I knew they would offer a job. Crew I worked with were local white Aussies,. mostly decent guys, but not going far.

Much of the grunt work was done by Tias or Cambodian. Was amazing to watch them play some kind of fast betting game at lunch. They worked piece work, sometimes I was the one to keep count of their production/payment. Thought odd to be put in that position, as I was just a passing through worker.

Now that's Drunken Rambling.

Not drunk yet, but I’m working on it.

I got home from work tonight and received a text that I lost another friend today. I don’t yet know if it was the plague du jour or something else.

UPDATE: finally got to talk to someone. They think it was a heart attack.

Last edited:
Stopped at a red-light in the "go straight" lane & the left turn arrow turns green, so the left turn lane starts turning left.

One of those cars stops next to me, older lady asks me directions to the mall as my light turns green. I'm trying to give her easy directions as fast as I can, truck behind me lays on the horn

& i revert to full sailor mode, dropping the mother of all F bombs

I look over to the innocent lady just trying to get to the mall; her jaw is dropped to the floor, she says "never mind" & takes off.

Not drunk right now, but the other night when I was in bed almost asleep my oldest cat jumped on my chest, causing me to OOOF loudly and tell him to get off my brewbs. Yes I said that word. And if I ever open my own brewery/taproom that's what I'm calling it. BREWBS. No there won't be scantily clad waitresses. Nor topless. Just good beer.

Not drunken thought, but was immediately following this.
Took wife on bday bike trip wknd up on the Lake Champlain islands. Had wrath of God thunderstorm for 45min, 30mph sideways rain sheets. Aint no rain gear will help you there. Quite scary. I'm ashamed to say I did not do beer when we got back to the inn.

Bourbon. And not a little.

Back