ran out of propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
So lets say at around 30 min of a 50 min boil you started to run low. By 43 min it was dead never came down past 190. Thinking im ok but what is the real issue with this. It was a stout with no adds other then in the beginning

If its extract I'd say no problem other than it may not be a bitter as it should. If its all grain you may end up with some DMS (cooked corn) flavor and the bitterness mentioned above.

You could boil it for another 20 minutes if you want to. Your SG might be a little low, but with only 20 minutes left it might not be too bad.

Always keep a second tank handy. You never know when that first one is going to run out.
x1000

Between my gas grill, turkey fryer, and torpedo heater, I make sure to always have a spare tank on reserve - when one kicks, swap the tanks out (REAL fun on a heated grill halfway through cooking a steak), and the next time I run to the store, swap the dead tank out for a full one.

With the appliances I have, I've actually considered getting a third tank so I could have two in use and one spare.

I had the same think happen 40 mins into a simcoe/amarillo IPA....I just whirl pooled for 40 additional mins and the results were very good.

and it was my back up tank...it happens

Happened to me once. Beer ended up decent. But I immediately bought another tank for reserve for my future brews

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I worried about this with my last brew day but it all worked out. I boiled more water/wort than ever and I was still okay. I am going to buy a second tank as a backup though.

Had a tank run out during the last 10 minutes of a Pumpkin Ale I was making. Everything that was going to be added was, so no biggie. However the pumpkin ale itself was rather disappointing, my fault (made a lot of mistakes that day) mainly, that had nothing to do with running out of gas.

I have had that happen a few of times, the first I carried the 5+ gallons into the kitchen to finish it off. The other 2 I ran out for a refill. Fortunately my fill station is only 1/4 mile away. Maybe 10-15 minutes down time.

I have no idea why I have not gotten a backup tank for this long. My tank is almost empty right no so before the next brew I will probably get a new tank and fill them both.

BTW all of them came out great!

Sort of related... How fast does a tank burn off with a propane burner? I understand it would depend on the burner, boil size & time.. Just looking for a ballpark on how many brews I might expect per tank.

A standard 20# propane tank has around 430,000 BTU's of energy. Take the BTU rating of your burner, divide it out and that will give you the approximate hours (at full output).

For example, my 30,000-55,000 BTU propane torpedo heater, running at maximum output, will use up a 20# cylinder in just shy of 8 hours. Dial it back to 30,000 BTU and it'll run over 14 hours.

Many of the turkey fryer/outdoor cooker burners are in the 30k-50k BTU range. Some better models approach 100,000 BTU. All depends.

I too ran out of propane this weekend right before I hit the boil. I've got no excuse for I have two tanks. One trip to the store later I brought the kettle up to a boil and got my wort into the buckets.

I too ran out of propane this weekend right before I hit the boil. I've got no excuse for I have two tanks. One trip to the store later I brought the kettle up to a boil and got my wort into the buckets.

This happened to me once too. Doh. I also ran out of CO2 this weekend while having 2 tanks... haha :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Back