RIS wort has a "smokey" essence ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
kinda wondering if I have scorched or burnt my wort. It's a recipe I've done 3 times before without issues.

very high 1.128 OG RIS. Lots of sparging and thus usually a boil down of a few hours until I reach my "starting" volume to begin my timed 60 min boil.

when sampling the wort and again after about a month...I note it has a "smokey" or "peaty" character.

But to be honest, I can't really recall ever "pre-tasting" this recipe before tapping the kegs. Which is usually around a year of sitting.

Let it ride and revisit in a year?

Does it taste burned smoky? If it's just peaty or a decent flavor keep it. If it tastes burned, it won't get better. Was it a standard recipe for an RIS? If so, and it tastes burned, you probably had some grain hit a heating element or stay on the bottom too close to the flame. If it's a decent taste, keep it and call it a Smoked Imperial Porter (or call it "beer"... I like that better)

1500w 110v electric water heater element in the kettle. runs full blast during the boil.

previous batches of this recipe have all had severely burnt sugars? on the element. DME and lactose go in the kettle. I try to dissolve with hot wort before dumping in the kettle. plus cacao powder and ground coffee go in the boiling kettle.

each time I make this recipe the element is a pain to clean. I assume due to the sugars or other stuff added during the boil and not fully dissolved prior to boil.

but each previous batch of this recipe has tasted fine in the end. and again, not totally sure if I ever did a mid-fermentation taste before.

I'm hoping you are right, the "smokey" will age out.

fair amount of roasted barley, black malt, dark crystal

I have not said that it will age out, just that it seems to be normal in this type of beer.

I only have tasted the final beer, not the in between stages regarding big stouts

Latest posts

Back