rainwater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTpilot

Reaction score
just had the thought about collecting rainwater to use for beer. it would take awhile to get a whole 5 gallons here, but this could be an on going project.

i would definitely use as clean a container as possible, then run it through a filter. anyone else ever tried this?

any body have an idea on the mineral content of rainwater?

I made a Kölsch with rainwater from my neighbor's collection system. They live off of rain water. It is very soft and made an amazingly smooth beer. It's the same as my recipe listed, but with rainwater, it turned it into a very quaffable beer.

I've entered it into the Dixie Cup for the "It's Just Beer" section.

I love this idea. One more way (albeit small) to lessen your impact. Let us know how it turns out.

I know that many cisterns have charcoal in them, so maybe running the water through a charcoal filter would (as you have suggested) help remove any nastiness. Of course, I live in NJ, so pollution may be less of a factor for you.

Hmmmm I never thought of this... Wouldn't be hard for me to collect the water since I live in a rainforest basically, 250+ days with rain. Guess I should stick a bucket outside...

I'd call the local EPA and ask them if acid rain is ANY sort of a problem in your area. if not, then I think you're golden.

In general rain water should be very soft and almost mineral free, at least compared to ground water. Remember rain is condensation in the clouds which form from evaporation, and H2O is what evaporates, leaving its minerals behind.

Interesting, I'm sure around here the lack of mineral content would be made up for by the moquito larvae. ;)

Just keep some Gambusia in the cistern. But, you know what W. C. Fields said about fish & water.

I have a 1000 gallons tank that was plumbed to the roof drains before I replaced the gutters. I don't think I'm ready for moss and Douglas Fir flavored beer.

lol just stick the bucket under your eves itll fill up fast :D

i have one under my eves for some reason and i have to dump it daily its been raining so much here!

Back