If there’s one thing….

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closet Fermenter

Bottle in front of me over frontal lobotomy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve thought about posing this question for awhile First, I am curious as to what others would say. Second, it might open my eyes to something that I had not considered. Finally, I may find something here that I can do to improve my method.

Here goes:
If there’s one thing that you could reasonably change that would greatly improve your homebrewing experience; what would it be?

For me;
I brew out at my shop year ‘round with the roll up door open. I use a wood stove to do most of my water heating, but often use the propane burners to get final temperature and for my boil. I like this; I am outside; no grief for spillage, water on the floor, odor, etc. But if there’s one thing that I could change, it would be a sink with running water at my shop. I have to spool out 50’ of hose across the yard for rinsing equipment, running my wort chiller, etc. I filter with a Berkey, so I have to filter inside and tote the water in gallon jugs out for the brew day. (Yesterday, I did two 5 gallon batches, and it was a chore!).

So, what’s your one thing?

It's a toss up between 220v or less stuff.
Ultimately, I think the latter wins.
If I could just be free of all this stuff.

If there’s one thing that you could reasonably change that would greatly improve your homebrewing experience; what would it be?
Right now my two biggest "quality of life" issues might be:

Lack of keg space. I use a hand-me-down fridge that has enough room for 3 kegs (5 gallon ones...I also have four 10L Torpedo kegs that I use as well). I just find that too often I am limited by what I can brew based on free keg spots. Also, a little more room would help with letting kegs age, keeping kegs that can stay on tap for months, and keeping carbonated water and/or hop water on tap. I think I am going to bite the bullet for a larger keezer very soon.

Propane + Outdoor brewing. It just seems harder these days for me to plan a 5 hour chuck of free time on the weekend when the sun is out and the weather is cooperating. This is a big reason why I often brew 2.5 gallon batches on my stove (that I have been able to push to 3 to 5.5 gallon batches). I suspect this is an issue I will just have to live with for now. I am in a rental with no real ability to run new circuits and I don't really want to spend the money on a new electric brewing system anyway.

Back