Frozen Keg - What should I expect now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrypratt1

Reaction score
I kegged my latest batch on Thursday and today (Sat) I went to slap on a label and noticed the keg was frozen (I had forgotten to attach Inkbird temp probe when I put keg into freezer post transfer). The freezer would have been on full cooling for 48 hours (so frozen). I don't see any discharge from the posts and nothing swelled on the keg (I suspect i was short of a full 5 gallons - maybe 4.5).

Any ideas what to expect as I let this thaw back to storage temps? Is this ruined? Does it depend on if the seals are impacted (Lid, posts)? Anyone else ever do this by mistake and have any advise.

I suppose I could have put this into the "Don't do that" thread but first wanted to know what to expect. I had planned this batch to take to a family event but don't want to take a failure if I have ruined (NEIPA - full pound of hops in the 5 gallon batch).

Terry

I kegged my latest batch on Thursday and today (Sat) I went to slap on a label and noticed the keg was frozen (I had forgotten to attach Inkbird temp probe when I put keg into freezer post transfer). The freezer would have been on full cooling for 48 hours (so frozen). I don't see any discharge from the posts and nothing swelled on the keg (I suspect i was short of a full 5 gallons - maybe 4.5).

Any ideas what to expect as I let this thaw back to storage temps? Is this ruined? Does it depend on if the seals are impacted (Lid, posts)? Anyone else ever do this by mistake and have any advise.

I suppose I could have put this into the "Don't do that" thread but first wanted to know what to expect. I had planned this batch to take to a family event but don't want to take a failure if I have ruined (NEIPA - full pound of hops in the 5 gallon batch).

Terry
Just found and read this thread (2 frozen commercial kegs! Need advice) - seems like I should be OKAY after verifying seals post thaw. Hopeful this is OK as I was really excited with the sample I tasted after kegging.

I would take the advise of the last post in that thread to remix the contents of your keg once it has fully thawed as I agree with the premise that there will be significant stratification. Otherwise, as that thread indicates, usually these things resolve favorably...

Cheers!

Back