Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where is the red in these beers. I don't often see it in the pictures. Is there a secret ingredient (malt) that enhances the redness? Or is there no such thing and it's just a name?

So where is the red in these beers. I don't often see it in the pictures. Is there a secret ingredient (malt) that enhances the redness? Or is there no such thing and it's just a name?
Have you brewed it? If brewed to recipe it’s a beautiful red color. I suppose due to lighting, camera, and various glasses shown it may not appear as red as in person, but I assure you this is a beautifully colored beer....and quite delicious as well.

I just brewed and red is definitely there but it is deep and more noticeable with light behind it. It’s nice to see it but really, I just like the fact it tastes great.

You gotta catch the light right, but it's pretty apparent. Here's mine after something like 9 weeks in bottles (last beer I made before switching to kegs):

IMG_20200922_180419589_HDR.jpg

The keg I am drinking now is the same as above. Including the mason jar, lol. Deep ruby red and smooth enough to be dangerous.
Eric
Have brewed it with hops other than Crystal and Cascade (as in the OP’s recipe) and if so what did you think?

Have brewed it with hops other than Crystal and Cascade (as in the OP’s recipe) and if so what did you think?

Crystal is hard to come by in the online or physical brew shops here in Europe and it's as expensive as buying something like Amarillo.
So I substituted it with mount hood which I got at a discount price. Turned out good.
Next time I'll use some Tradition or Mittlefruh as Mount Hood is also expensive now and better to use something a bit more local when possible.
Will probably be sometime next year.

I'm going to get my starter started today and plan to brew this next weekend! If everything goes as planned I'll have this Irish red, a Stout and something else on tap to inaugurate my newly built keezer. I'm not sure I want to get my dark funky Saison on tap just yet and have a dedicated 'wild/sour/funky' faucet/lines so soon, though.

So my batch ended up turning out pretty great, I was measuring fg with a refractometer without scaling for alcohol (sigh).

20200927_213406.jpg

Any thoughts on using Safale S-04 yeast next time?

I just brewed this in my GrainFather and the foam, OMG even during mash it was like "The Blob" coming up the sides
Looks amazing currently though! It's boiling away :p

Not using the Honey, and using english hops (Fuggles) and english yeast.

Gonna bottle this once it's finished in a few weeks. Any suggestions on priming vol?

I kegged mine this past week and am really happy with how it turned out. I’m really into IPAs right now but always try to have at least one other beer and am really glad I tried this.

Last edited:
I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

So my batch ended up turning out pretty great, I was measuring fg with a refractometer without scaling for alcohol (sigh).

View attachment 701006

Any thoughts on using Safale S-04 yeast next time?

Looks great!

Honestly, I think US-05 really complements this beer. It allows the Honey to dominate the taste. I upped the honey and ABV for my last batch, and it was wonderful!

There's nothing wrong with using S-04. Bready + Honey is never a bad thing.

Honestly, I'm becoming less and less of a fan of S-04 as time goes on. My experience with S-04 is that it does create a bready taste, but it's very...I don't know...one-sided...too clean....one dimensional. My tasters do NOT like S-04 in their dark beers that I've made. Too crisp and clean.

I'd be more tempted to use Nottingham over S_04 if you are sticking with dry yeast.

This is my specific recipe of this beer:
https://brewgr.com/recipe/68942/raging-irish-red-ag-5g-recipe?public=true
I upp'd the ABV slightly as you see. Don't be afraid to put a little bit more Honey in....even though I list .9 lbs, I probably did 1.2-1.5 lbs.

It's truly wonderful, and I think this is one of the best beers on this forum. You can't "not" like it.

Last edited:
Brewed this last Christmas and this year kegged the second brew and had the first one yesterday. As before it looks more amberish color than red like some pics above. Came out better than last year. This beer is on my top list for sure!
rED ALE.jpg

Last edited:
Just brewed this Sunday using WLP0001. Did not have time for a starter and ended up being colder than usual in florida but it finally started bubbling after 32 hrs. Cant wait to try this one.

Thinking of doing a split batch of this. 5 gallons of the original and 5 gallons a bit different.
I will only have one kettle free so the only changes I would make would be after the boil.
I'll be bottling both so will not experiment with dry hopping as I want to be drinking them over the next 6 months.

Also I wont be able to do much temperature control as my brew fridge will be full with 2 IPA's.
I'll be fermenting in a 65F cellar.

I was thinking of steeping some black malt and crystal rye and adding it to one fermenter and replacing the yeast with T-58.
London Ale III would also be an option or 1968 but that would need some additional temperature control.

Anyone has success doing a split batch with this or just made changes to the original that turned out good?

Thanks! :mug:

Last edited:
Brewed this again a few weeks ago. I've been messing around with my RIMS setup and blew my OG out of the water so this batch ended up at like 7.7% ABV, but it didn't hurt anything :)

IMG_20210109_212803793.jpg

Brewed this 2 weeks ago and my efficiency was a little low. My OG was only 1.056. I used US-05 and it finished at 1.015. A little sweet, but I think it may be okay.

Brewed this again today. Tweaked the ingredients, due to stocking issues at more beer PA warehouse 10 gallon batch.
15# xtra pale viking
3# carrafoam
2# melanoiden
1# raw honey
1# raw honey with ginger
Pitched on top of yeast cake from Yoopers house pale ale I kegged yesterday.
Fermenting at 63-65 degrees
Should be interesting
Eric

Basically, no. They don't have the same purpose. Honey malt is a crystal malt with, you guessed it, honey flavors. A little goes a long way.
Melanoiden is used to enhance maltiness or to mimic decoction. And I think it gives more reddish color, but that needs to be confirmed.

Briess released their relatively new 25L "American Honey Malt" perhaps a year or two ago, and they alternately call it a Brumalt and a melanoidin malt. See these snippits which I quote from the provided link:
Malt Style Traditional European-style Brumalt, also known as melanoidin malt.
Applications • Traditional melanoidin-style malt applications with a complex flavor profile from light honey to more intense malt flavors.
http://american-honey.brewingwithbriess.com/documents/AmericanHoney.pdf

Last edited:
I just happened to be drinking this as I was perusing the forums. I brewed it about 2 months ago and forgot to pop in here and leave a note. I 86ed the honey and added a half-pound of honey malt.
Really a great beer. Slightly malty, but mostly balanced. Finished just a tad dry. I've been getting lots of compliments from friends.
I'm a fairly new brewer and still in the "brew all the styles" phase, but I'll be brewing this again soon. Next time I may try it with the honey.

Back