Quantcast

Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
So where is the red in these beers. I don't often see it in the pictures. Is there a secret ingredient (malt) that enhances the redness? Or is there no such thing and it's just a name?

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So where is the red in these beers. I don't often see it in the pictures. Is there a secret ingredient (malt) that enhances the redness? Or is there no such thing and it's just a name?
Have you brewed it? If brewed to recipe it’s a beautiful red color. I suppose due to lighting, camera, and various glasses shown it may not appear as red as in person, but I assure you this is a beautifully colored beer....and quite delicious as well.

Dancy

Reaction score
I just brewed and red is definitely there but it is deep and more noticeable with light behind it. It’s nice to see it but really, I just like the fact it tastes great.

JLeather

Reaction score
You gotta catch the light right, but it's pretty apparent. Here's mine after something like 9 weeks in bottles (last beer I made before switching to kegs):

IMG_20200922_180419589_HDR.jpg

Dancy

Reaction score
The keg I am drinking now is the same as above. Including the mason jar, lol. Deep ruby red and smooth enough to be dangerous.
Eric
Have brewed it with hops other than Crystal and Cascade (as in the OP’s recipe) and if so what did you think?

burntchef

Reaction score
I slammed this recipe with 8oz of cascade as an experiment. It was a fail. Do not repeat.
Eric

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Have brewed it with hops other than Crystal and Cascade (as in the OP’s recipe) and if so what did you think?
Crystal is hard to come by in the online or physical brew shops here in Europe and it's as expensive as buying something like Amarillo.
So I substituted it with mount hood which I got at a discount price. Turned out good.
Next time I'll use some Tradition or Mittlefruh as Mount Hood is also expensive now and better to use something a bit more local when possible.
Will probably be sometime next year.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to get my starter started today and plan to brew this next weekend! If everything goes as planned I'll have this Irish red, a Stout and something else on tap to inaugurate my newly built keezer. I'm not sure I want to get my dark funky Saison on tap just yet and have a dedicated 'wild/sour/funky' faucet/lines so soon, though.

TheSwan

Reaction score
So my batch ended up turning out pretty great, I was measuring fg with a refractometer without scaling for alcohol (sigh).

20200927_213406.jpg

Any thoughts on using Safale S-04 yeast next time?

danbriant

Reaction score
I just brewed this in my GrainFather and the foam, OMG even during mash it was like "The Blob" coming up the sides
Looks amazing currently though! It's boiling away :p

Not using the Honey, and using english hops (Fuggles) and english yeast.

Gonna bottle this once it's finished in a few weeks. Any suggestions on priming vol?

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged mine this past week and am really happy with how it turned out. I’m really into IPAs right now but always try to have at least one other beer and am really glad I tried this.

Last edited: