racking onto yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Should I still aerate? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Yes, still aerate. No matter how many cells you have, they still need oxygen to thrive.

I don't do it all the time but I have racked onto a yeast cake a few times as experimental type brews. the last time was this past fall. I brewed a strong scottish ale and then racked some cider on top of the yeast cake just to see how it would go. The cider turned out pretty dry and had a full fermentation. I'd have to look up my notes to get specific gravities. I don't have an aeration system of any sort yet but i did agitate quite well with a couple of gallons in the carboy. I would aerate though if you have the capability. I did start with a pretty large starter because I had planned to do a 2 for 1 so to speak. I love doing this as it keep s cost down and can add subtle flavor variations to your normal brews.

I have a few jars of washed yeast in the fridge, I could use those if need be. I wanted to try this as as an experiment. Ill let you know how it turns out. The cake is a 2 week old wlp001 that cam from a 1200ml starter. It fermented a rye pale ale.

Def. aerate, pure 02 is even better. I don't rack onto cakes (except to attemp to fix a stuck ferment, which has only happened once).

What I like to do, depending on the OG of the new beer, is scoop out a measured amount of slurry (using mr.malty.com) and then pitch THAT directly into the new wort in a clean and sanitized fermentor. If the new beer has a massive OG, then its possible you may need the whole cake anyway, which would negate scooping any slurry out. I use a sanitized mason jar to scoop out the slurry and measure because the mason jar has ml marks. Super easy and allows you to pitch the proper amount of cells.

Dang, I usually batch sparge and get around 70%, I tried fly sparging and hit 81%. This beer will be a little bigger than expected.

Decided not to rack into cake. I pitched a washed wlp001 from yesterday.

Latest posts

Back