Racking my cherry wine 3 times. can i add yeast also on 2nd rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMBOBILLYBOB

Reaction score
Virgin brewer here.
I'm afraid i may not have had enough yeast in the open-fermentation of my cherry wine.
can i add more yeast when i rack 2nd time? thank yuo for response.

Provide details so we can help:
Ingredients, volumes, gravities, timeliness, etc.

Typically a hydrometer check on juice prior to start up should reveal 21 brix rs, I have had to add dextrose to start up juices to attain 21 brix then add yeast nutrient , then #1118. If juice is at 26 C

It either fermented or it didn't. If it "took off" and bubbled, your are virtually guaranteed you have enough yeast. They multiply until they run out of food (sugar). If it's still too sweet, you may have a "stuck" fermentation. Google that and look for solutions.

I would suggest Don't rack for the 1st time until you've reached terminal gravity (FG). But, if you already did and your SG is too high, then it will probably take more than just adding more yeast to get fermentation restarted. If that's the case, then follow lukebuz's advice above.

Virgin brewer here.
I'm afraid i may not have had enough yeast in the open-fermentation of my cherry wine.
can i add more yeast when i rack 2nd time? thank yuo for response.
Hi JIMBOBBILLYBOB - and welcome. What makes you think that you did not add enough yeast? I know that some on this forum (and many on Youtube) halve and quarter a pack of yeast but in fact a home wine maker CANNOT pitch too much yeast and even if a pack says that one pack is good for anywhere between 1 gallon and 5 or 6 gallons , you can assume that 1 pack is good for even 1 gallon and if you open a pack and don't use it all, then you are asking for trouble if you roll it up and put it back in the fridge. You have opened the door to all kinds of bacteria that love yeast. But even if you use a whole pack about 50% of those cells are often killed because of poor hydration practices. Bottom line - always open a pack and use it all.
But that said, the yeast will reproduce and the colony will continue to grow during the fermentation process.

Back