Racking beer off break material before pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
Does anybody do this? I thought about giving it a try to see if it produces a better beer. My idea is to chill the beer to the mid 60's and let it sit overnight, then rack to another container in the morning and pitch the yeast.

Do you have things poking out inside your kettle? Anything like a dip tube, thermowell, ect will affect the whirlpool.

Also, simple thing, are you going clockwise or anti-clockwise? If you're in the northern hemisphere, you want to go clockwise.

I notice on my big pot (15g) the whirlpool won't get the whole way coned up in the center. But it will get most of the trub away from the outer edge of the pot. I hold the autosyphon straight down against the pot. Once I start the siphon, I can see the trub going into the fermentor in the first few seconds, then clean wort. Once the level gets low enough in the pot, the cone of trub starts to flatten out. I pickup more trub in the siphon, but not as much as I would if I didn't whirlpool.

B

Do you have things poking out inside your kettle? Anything like a dip tube, thermowell, ect will affect the whirlpool.

Also, simple thing, are you going clockwise or anti-clockwise? If you're in the northern hemisphere, you want to go clockwise.

I notice on my big pot (15g) the whirlpool won't get the whole way coned up in the center. But it will get most of the trub away from the outer edge of the pot. I hold the autosyphon straight down against the pot. Once I start the siphon, I can see the trub going into the fermentor in the first few seconds, then clean wort. Once the level gets low enough in the pot, the cone of trub starts to flatten out. I pickup more trub in the siphon, but not as much as I would if I didn't whirlpool.

B

I do have a dip tube since the kettle has a valve attached. Maybe that's why it doesn't work worth a crap.

Does anybody do this? I thought about giving it a try to see if it produces a better beer. My idea is to chill the beer to the mid 60's and let it sit overnight, then rack to another container in the morning and pitch the yeast.

The only problem you might have is bacterial inocculation (Infection to some, lambic style to others) letting it sit that long if it's open. The winter isn't so bad but during summer there are alot more bacterium in the air, or so I've heard, probably depends where you are at and where you're storing it.

I whirlpool (When I don't have large pine sprigs in the brew) and it seems to work fine, I do have a large elbow type dip tube that sucks from the side of the pot, and I do swirl it clockwise. Does your dip tube suck from the side or the middle?

Back