R410a or R22 compressor for glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which compressor should I use for my glycol chiller build?

• R22 Unit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scoobert

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a glycol chiller and I've got two air conditioning units at my disposal for that purpose. My goal is to make the compressor reach the lowest temperature so I plan on bypassing the temperature sensor.
20200218_151222.jpg

20200218_151313.jpg

But I'm curious which unit would work better for this. I know that r410a is able to remove more heat per cycle than r22 but my concern is that since it's a gas mixture it will behave differently at lower temperatures and im afraid it may not work at lower temperatures or that it will harm the compressor.

I have already kinda settled on using the r22 compressor because the r410a unit is more likely to leak when I **** with the lines due to the higher pressures. Does anyone have any experience building a chiller with an r410a unit? It looks like most folks are using r134a and r22 AC units to build chillers with.

Thank you.

Back