Yet another glycol chiller DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optx

Reaction score
So I have 3 goals for this project

1: To utilize my large keezer to house a glycol reservoir
2: Free up my fermentation chamber for storing bottled beer and hops
3:Less equipment and smaller electrical foot print in my brewshed

My plan is to use my keezer to hold a glycol reservoir to temp control/cold crash fermenters. After doing some research I believe using an old immersion copper coil for my return to drop the temp down before going back into the reservoir is the best solution. For the system I would like to use a closed glycol loop with solenoids to open and close the valves to cool per fermenter temp. My keezer runs at a constant 35-36 degree temp and I have plenty of space for the return bucket and reservoir. I also have 2 fans in the keezer for keeping the temp stable.
I do have a 1400w 12 amp A/C unit to use as a DIY chiller but after considering the amount of amperage I don't want to add such a large device on the circuit. Space in my brewshed is at a premium so if I can double utilize my keezer and save both space and energy that would be a plus.

I know there are numerous glycol DIY builds on this forum and I've searched through them.I figured it would be easier to just ask before making a decision.

So hive mind whats your opinion?

Given the sketched design would this effectively chill 2(7gal) fermenters & a 1(15gal) fermenter? Not all fermenters would be chilling at the same time so it would be either 2x7gal or 1(7gal) and 1(15gal)? Or am I better off just biting the bullet and building a chiller with the large A/C unit?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0683.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back