quoteTampa Bay McBrews Scotch Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exarkun151

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had this beer while I was on leave from a deployment with the fam in Florida. I love this beer, has anyone had this, and if so do you think you could put in a recipe?:mug:

Here is the rate beer tasting notes:
http://www.ratebeer.com/ratings/beer/ta ... le/109201/

My favorite TBBC beer to date. Blown away by how great the beer came out. Cask pour, straight from JD barrel. Pours copper, cloudy with a thick off-white head. Aroma had plenty of whiskey notes though not overpowering. Nice aroma of vanilla was apparent.The McBrews scotch is also noticeable, hints of caramel, dark fruits. Flavor, whiskey barrel is sweet, hints of vanilla. Mouthfeel isn’t overly boozy though the barrel is right where it should be. Some chocolate elements, vanilla sweetness, caramel malts, hints of wood.

From TBBC: A big amber malty brew. Made with English Pale and Carmel Malts. This ale is lightl hopped. AbV 7.0%.

Try contacting the brewer to see if they will give you suggestions on how much crystal and what types. Otherwise look for a scotch ale recipe, brew it and adjust to get closer to your target.

Try contacting the brewer to see if they will give you suggestions on how much crystal and what types. Otherwise look for a scotch ale recipe, brew it and adjust to get closer to your target.

Thanks for the suggestion to email brewer, I will give that a try. Looking at the ABV, and description could someone give me a link or an approx on what types of grain and hop amounts?

Thanks,

Ben

Thanks for the suggestion to email brewer, I will give that a try. Looking at the ABV, and description could someone give me a link or an approx on what types of grain and hop amounts?

Thanks,

Ben

I brewed a ~10% wee heavy a couple years back, here is the recipe with the base malt reduced to get closer to 1.070 @ 70% eff. Hope it helps.

Grain
------
82.8% 9.00 lbs. Maris Otter or Golden Promise
11.0% 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt
2.8% 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L
2.8% 0.50 lbs. Melanoidin Malt
0.7% 0.125 lbs. Chocolate Malt

Hops
-------
Enough clean bittering hops @ 60 min. to get to 25 IBUs (I used 1 oz of Galena)

Extras
-------
1.00 Unit(s) Whirlfloc @15 min.

Yeast
------
Either American or Scottish ale yeast

Mash Schedule
---------------
Sacch Rest 60 min @ 155

When you head back to Tampa Bay Brewing Company try their root beer. HANDS DOWN best root beer.

If you get a chance check out Cigar City too, my choice for a go too beer spot in tampa.

Thanks for the recipe, I will give it a try. Well hope to go back some time, but currently reside in the midwest.

Back