Quinoa for Head Retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
So haven't brewed since the springtime, but am planning a brew for the next week or two.

While visiting the glutenfreehomebrewing.org store, i noticed some new malts and grains including flaked quinoa. The say on the page that flaked quinoa helps with head retention but doesn't contribute any fermentable sugars.

Has anyone tried flaked quinoa and can verify head retention improvements or other thing about their experience?

Interesting! I am intrigued. Would love to hear from first hand experience as I will have to place an order soon.

Looks like bulk whole white quinoa at Sprouts is only $3.50 per lb. Wonder if one could just cereal mash it and add it to the bigger mash and get the same effect without having to do the $5.50/lb flaked option...

I heard an interview with the brewmaster from glutenberg and he explain the primary reason they use quinoa is for head retention. I have steeped toasted quinoa in my beer before but it was one of my first brews ever so I was unable to determine the difference it made in the beer. As far as cost, Costco sells a 4 pound bag for $10 right now , about the same price it sells for in Peru. 2 years ago it was over $20 for a 4 lb bag at Costco.

I heard an interview with the brewmaster from glutenberg and he explain the primary reason they use quinoa is for head retention. I have steeped toasted quinoa in my beer before but it was one of my first brews ever so I was unable to determine the difference it made in the beer. As far as cost, Costco sells a 4 pound bag for $10 right now , about the same price it sells for in Peru. 2 years ago it was over $20 for a 4 lb bag at Costco.

How did you prepare the quinoa again? Steeped it in the mash or the beer or what?

I toasted the quinoa dry in the oven until and steeped in water at typical steeping temp, say 170 degrees for a half hour and then dumped it in my brew kettle.

I am planning to brew a GF APA next weeked, and decided to add 1lb of quinoa (inspired by this thread).

The whole (costco) quinoa will be milled allong with the rest of the grains and mashed acording to my usual protocol.

We will see how it goes.

Used flaked quinoa instead of oats in the chocolate porter recipe from the "Brew better beer" book. Head was good, though the quinoa had a bit of a grassy smell.

I am planning to brew a GF APA next weeked, and decided to add 1lb of quinoa (inspired by this thread).

The whole (costco) quinoa will be milled allong with the rest of the grains and mashed acording to my usual protocol.

We will see how it goes.

As you know, I am also looking to do do that in the GF stout we were discussing so since I won't be doing that for at least 2 weeks, I'd like to know your experience with this. The only upside I see to roasting the flakes first would be additional color.

So, I did do this for my GF. 12 oz baked in the oven to slightly dark then ground and added to the brew

So haven't brewed since the springtime, but am planning a brew for the next week or two.

While visiting the glutenfreehomebrewing.org store, i noticed some new malts and grains including flaked quinoa. The say on the page that flaked quinoa helps with head retention but doesn't contribute any fermentable sugars.

Has anyone tried flaked quinoa and can verify head retention improvements or other thing about their experience?
I used ground quinoa in my last GF - the head retention is terrible. In fact, there is hardly any head to the beer at all.

I have also used .5 to 1 lb of ground quinoa in my last couple of beers.
Neigther beer had noticably better head retention than usual.

Rice/quinoa beer. Head's decent, persistent.

Attachments

• saison.jpg
    saison.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 79
Back