Quicky simple question...grains at H20 temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Doing my 2nd batch tomorrow which will be an all-grain BIAB setup....trying to remember what I did last time....

Do I put the grains in the bag and bring the water up to my 155 degree temp to sit for 45 minutes, or do I bring the water up to temp and then add the bag of grains (which will then drop the temp and I'll have to bring the temp back up again).

Does it make a difference if the grains are sitting in the water all that time while the water heats up, or should I wait until the water is close to target temp before adding that bag of grains? :confused:

Yes

If you add the grains first you'll be bring them through several enzyme reactions but for only a short amount of time so the process doesn't get to complete. You'll have to stir constantly as the temperature rises to keep from getting hot spots and from overshooting the 155 degrees you intend to mash at.

If you heat the water to 155 and then stir in the grains you mash temp will be too low so you'll have to stir and add heat.

If you heat the water to the calculated strike temperature for the weight and temperature, then stir in the grains the mash should drop right to 155 with no extra stirring or heating.

Back